Vice President of Business Development
With a history of top-of-the-line quality products and services since 1976, Kensington Glass Arts, Inc. (KGa) has long been recognized as THE leading contract glass installation and fabrication company working in high-end architectural glass in the Washington/Baltimore Metro region. Currently, we are shifting our business model to fabrication and manufacturing exclusively. We’re adopting a growth-oriented, sales-focused approach and want to expand our customer base. As we wind down our backlog of installation projects, we are adding a separate Technical Sales Team to leverage our deep bench of technical knowledge gained through 47 years of installation experience to increase our value for fabrication customers. We believe this two-team approach will create dynamic synergies for our customers that will propel our expected sales growth.
We are looking for an innovative business development leader to invigorate the sales approach of our primary sales team, demonstrate to new and former customers the value and potential of our new service line, and develop creative ways to leverage our strengths to drive revenue growth and increase market share.
In this role, you’ll report to the President and lead 4-6 direct reports, building your team to match the pace of our transition. You’ll work closely with the Technical Sales Team to create new opportunities to expand product lines and customer experiences. You’ll oversee Fabrication Sales operations, drive the lifecycle of the sales process, provide strategic insight on product development, and develop marketing strategies to help your team meet and exceed sales goals while positioning KGa as the go-to source for superior glass fabrication and technical expertise. You will be an important member of the KGa Executive Team, which functions as a group of dedicated professionals.
How You’ll Make an Impact
- Business Development Strategy. Proactively identify customer needs and evaluate market trends. Show new and former customers (individual contract glazers, contractors, specialty manufacturers, architects, demountable systems dealers, and installers, etc.) how KGa’s expertise and capabilities can help solve their business problems. Find new markets and opportunities for products that we can make and sell.
- Sales and Marketing Operations. Design and oversee the implementation of marketing programs to tell KGa’s story and improve the customer experience. Collaborate with the Executive and Technical Teams in establishing the most realistic sales goals and accurately forecast annual, quarterly, and monthly revenue streams. Build and foster a network of referrals to create new opportunities.
- Staff Leadership. Mentor and grow our Fabrication Sales and Marketing staff. Lead your teams to meet sales goals by setting clear performance expectations, establishing an accountability and performance review process, and providing relevant professional training opportunities.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- This role is full-time, Monday-Friday, on-site at our Ijamsville, MD location, with 10% domestic travel for events, meetings, etc. The right person for this job doesn’t want to work from home; they want to be with their merry band of pirate coworkers.
- The budgeted salary range for this position is $125K - $150K, with an outstanding benefits package. There is potential for upside compensation as we build a larger, more profitable enterprise.
- Identify sales and marketing opportunities based on consumer needs and industry trends. Research competitor activities, strengths, and weaknesses. Forecast business projections and set targeted market share goals.
- Enhance product marketability and profitability through market research. Optimize product packaging and coordinate new product development efforts.
- Develop and execute strategic sales and marketing plans to achieve sales objectives. Continuously monitor market research and adjust marketing strategies to adapt to changing conditions.
- Create an annual marketing plan, including realistic forecasts for each product and territory. Estimate the costs of operating the sales force and plan sales promotion programs accordingly.
- Recruit, guide, and organize CSRs and sales representatives to accomplish specific objectives. Direct sales forecasting activities and set performance goals accordingly.
- Develop a process to evaluate responsibilities and performance standards for each sales team member, set individual sales goals and commission targets, and administer a commission plan when needed. Report sales team performance to the Executive Team.
- Educate and motivate the sales team in new account sales and growth, emerging products and multi-product sales, profitability, presentation strategies, competitive strategies, proper use and level of sales support, managing expenses, and business/financial issues on contracts.
- Develop and manage sales and marketing operating budgets.
- Plan and oversee advertising and promotion activities, including print, online, electronic media, etc. Establish and maintain a consistent corporate image.
- Publicize product/service features and benefits, discuss KGa's philosophy and strategies, and generate buy-in from staff and clients.
- Manage the sales administration function, streamline processes and systems, and advise the Executive Team on maximizing business relationships to create an environment where customer service can flourish.
- Establish and maintain relationships with industry influencers, strategic partners, and key clients.
- Periodically conduct information-only presentations, such as seminars, trade show demonstrations, and other efforts.
- 10 or more years of experience in strategic business development and sales in a similar construction materials industry (millwork, glass, demountable systems, office furniture, flooring, lighting, wallcovering, cabinetry, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in leading a successful sales team to deliver on goals. Leadership experience and a love of team building are critical; we’ll want to see metrics of your past successes.
- This is not a cookie-cutter role; we recognize that the right individual may not have directly relevant experience. The right person is the right person. Our trade can be learned, but the right sales mindset can’t be taught. An extroverted personality is a real plus here.
Kensington Glass Arts (KGa) specializes in fabricating high-end glass products, typically for organizations with very upscale office interiors or residential clients. Unique in our industry, we have the largest glass fabrication facility in the DC metropolitan area, operating from two factories in Ijamsville, MD, and Sterling, VA. KGa is a progressive, forward-thinking organization. We take prudent risks while maintaining our core values, exceptional standards, and unique products. Our products and services are top-of-the-line high quality. But that doesn’t stop us from always looking for ways to do better. We’re happier ahead of the curve than behind it.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org with “KGA – VP of Business Development #2023-2817 SA” as the subject of the email.
Job responsiblitites are similar to the following positions: Sales Director, VP of Sales, Director of Business Development.
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended a competency-driven approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.