Chief Financial Officer (remote)
Cancer is an epidemic, and the fight against it is being waged every minute of every day in health systems around the world. The Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) enables nurses at the forefront of this battle to advance their education and careers, contribute to oncology science and best practices, and improve cancer care. A longtime provider of products and services for individual practitioners, ONS is expanding into new markets with B2B product development, serving cancer care institutes, cancer programs, and healthcare institutions providing cancer care. We are seeking a data-driven, strategic Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with expertise in market analysis, financial forecasting, and pricing models to support that expansion and ensure our continued growth.
As a member of the Executive Leadership Team reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), you will manage our finance, contracts (including facilities), and business development functions with 3 direct reports and a total team of 10-12. As we grow our portfolio of products and services, we will look to you to assess the long-term viability of new initiatives, make data-based and actionable recommendations to senior leadership, and identify cost-savings opportunities to ensure the fiscal health of ONS, the Oncology Nursing Foundation (ONF), and the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC). You will continue our history of clean audits as you oversee accounting, budgeting, financial reporting, and policy for the Society ($30.8M in annual revenue with $20.4M in reserves), ONF ($2.6M revenue with $16.2M for endowment and named funds and an upcoming $8M capital campaign), and ONCC ($4.5M revenue with $22.7M in reserves).
How You’ll Make an Impact
- Redefine our business development approach to ensure sustainable growth. Develop and implement innovative pricing models for our entire suite of products, aligning them with market trends and ONS’s strategic goals.
- Elevate financial planning and analysis beyond budget stewardship. Leverage data to drive decision-making and take advantage of new opportunities. Act as a discerning gatekeeper, critically evaluating each initiative to ensure only the most viable and financially sound are pursued.
- Carefully steward our investments in collaboration with an external investment management partner. Use their expertise combined with deep knowledge of our organization to ensure investment strategies meet the current and future needs of each entity. Work to further strengthen the financial stability of the Foundation.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- You’ll enjoy a fully remote and flexible work environment with core meeting hours from 8-5 ET. Occasional travel to our Pittsburgh, PA, location is required for some meetings.
- The budgeted salary range for this position is $220,000 - $245,000 (plus bonus potential based on financial results of the organization and achievement of organizational and individual goals) with an outstanding benefits package, including generous PTO and 12 paid holidays, medical coverage with HSA/FSA options, dental and vision insurance, retirement with up to 3% employer match, disability and life insurance, tuition reimbursement/continuing education allowance, and more.
- You’ll be joining a supportive team that is passionate about our truly meaningful mission that makes a difference in people’s lives. Your support and commitment to providing nurses with an environment of continuous learning and patient advocacy is something you will be proud of.
- Serve as an ONS Executive Leadership Team member and act on the Board’s recommended strategic direction. Develop and monitor annual budgets and business cases, ensuring alignment with strategic, operational, and budgetary goals.
- Create service strategies and operational priorities for areas of responsibility. Lead change for new business/service models and integrate them with organizational priorities.
- Assist the CEO and Executive Leadership Team in advancing organizational, team, and individual performance while fostering a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Coach and develop a high-performing team, providing opportunities for growth, including professional development.
- Develop likely future financial performance outcomes through financial forecasting and scenario modeling, including preparing profit projections in collaboration with department heads.
- Provide strategic analysis, recommendations, and guidance to management and the corporate boards to optimize their short- and long-term resources, including cost reductions, revenue enhancement, and price setting.
- Lead the budgeting process in collaboration with the executive staff and oversee the annual audit for compliance with professional accounting standards and federal and state regulations.
- Manage third-party administrator activities related to the 401(k) plan (serving as a trustee) and work with HR to manage retirement plan funding.
- Develop and maintain relationships with auditors, banking and investment managers, and vendors, including negotiating fees. Manage financial system technologies across entities.
- Oversee the business development model and strategies to ensure alignment with strategic priorities and revenue expectations.
- Provide high-level statistical and accounting analyses to help management and board leaders assess operating results and business development effectiveness.
- Manage the contracts function, ensuring that contract guidance is integrated with developing programs and services by internal teams.
- Maintain a process for reviewing agreements.
- Serve as liaison to external legal counsel for contract and other organizational matters.
- Oversee building operations in partnership with internal staff and the building management company, ensuring compliance with lease agreements by landlords and tenants, enforcement of external contracts, and efficient operation of the building and its equipment.
- Work with leasing agent to screen and evaluate potential tenants responding to leasing RFPs. Coordinate negotiations and finalize lease agreements between tenants, attorneys, and landlords.
- 8 years of experience managing finances for a multi-entity organization. Experience, via employment or volunteer service, with a nonprofit or an association is essential. Master’s degree in business, accounting, or nonprofit management is required.
- Strong working knowledge of accounting and budgeting systems.
- Demonstrated experience presenting complex topics to senior leadership, public groups, or boards of directors (articles, speeches, presentations, etc.).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to build strategic alliances and facilitate consensus-building. Ability to respond to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to interpret economic and social trends and government influence and plan financial resources accordingly.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
The Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) is a professional association that represents 100,000 nurses and is the professional home to more than 35,000 members. ONS is committed to promoting excellence in oncology nursing and the transformation of cancer care. Since 1975, ONS has provided a professional community for oncology nurses, developed evidence-based education programs and treatment information, and advocated for patient care, all in an effort to improve the quality of life and outcomes for patients with cancer and their families.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Bob Corlett at email@example.com with “ONS - CFO #2023-2813 SA” as the subject of the email.
Please note: The budgeted salary range for this position is $220,000 - $245,000 (plus bonus potential).
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended a competency-driven approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.