Director of Email Marketing (primarily remote, Mid-Atlantic)
Kidney disease affects more than 1 in 7 U.S. adults—it is the fastest-growing non-contagious disease, and it has an enormous impact on patients and families. The American Kidney Fund provides unmatched value to patients and families wherever they are in their fight against the disease while supporting research to advance patient care and advocating for improved health policy and equity. We are seeking a Director of Email Marketing with a deep understanding of the intersection between email marketing and fundraising to ensure our program delivers optimal value at the most impactful stage of engagement for our audiences.
Reporting to and working closely with the Senior Director of Brand Marketing, you will lead our e-CRM platform migration and develop a new strategy grounded in value-driven communication to nurture constituents through acquisition, cultivation, and retention. Your goal will be to create targeted constituent journeys, fostering enduring connections with AKF while increasing participation in our programs and fundraising. You will lead roughly 30 campaigns with an average of 325 total emails annually, reaching 125K+ constituents nationwide. Our primary audience segments include patients, ambassadors in our advocacy programs, professionals working in the kidney space, and prospective and current donors.
How You’ll Make an Impact
Your work will be pivotal in refining AKF's outreach approach, ensuring a positive impact on patients' lives while furthering the vital work of professionals in the kidney health community.
- E-CRM Migration. Work with our contracted implementation strategist to ensure a successful transition from Blackbaud’s Luminate Online to Engaging Networks (data migration, platform setup, content migration, training and documentation for staff, etc.).
- Email Strategy. Work with the Senior Director of Brand Marketing and engage with stakeholders across AKF (including our Individual Giving, Advocacy, and Education teams) to create a strategy that meets individual program goals while bridging gaps between marketing and development within the email program.
- Campaign Execution. Work with the Marketing and Communications Manager to execute campaigns, providing strategic guidance on segmentation and targeting with day-to-day hands-on support.
- Data Analysis. Identify and track KPIs to determine if we are providing significant and relevant value at every touchpoint. Make data-driven recommendations for continuous improvement. Design and implement A/B tests to optimize performance.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- You’ll enjoy a primarily remote work schedule with 2-3 days per month in our North Bethesda, MD, office. We currently support employees in Maryland, Virginia, Washington, DC, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. Occasional out-of-town travel may be required (less than 5%).
- The budgeted salary range for this position is $100K - $105K. AKF offers comprehensive benefits, including a matching 403b retirement plan, health, dental, vision, and life insurance, short- and long-term disability, flex spending, and generous leave.
- Additional perks include paid underground parking, Metro subsidies, employee-led recognition and social events throughout the year, and shorter workdays on Fridays.
- You are joining a diverse team of open, collaborative, and supportive colleagues who care deeply about our mission, the people we serve, and each other. AKF is financially secure and led by a national board of trustees that is appropriately engaged, experienced, supportive, and appreciative of the team.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive email program strategy/roadmap aligned with the AKF’s goals and objectives, including robust constituent journeys. Define key priorities, focusing on strategies to drive acquisition, retention, and re-acquisition.
- Collaborate with marketing, development, and education team members on strategies to grow AKF’s email database, using technical expertise to develop and implement best practices and testing strategies alongside the Senior Director of Brand Marketing.
- Work alongside the Marketing and Communications Manager to develop, schedule, and execute hundreds of email messages per year, ensuring appropriately targeted communications to help meet individual program and constituent goals.
- Oversee audience selection and segmentation through query building in conjunction with other department leads that define program needs, goals, and benchmarks.
- In partnership with the Marketing and Communications team, make recommendations to the organization’s editorial calendar to increase the effectiveness of our campaigns across all online and offline touchpoints.
- Monitor and analyze consistent email program data and provide timely and accurate reporting to help determine the effectiveness of current strategies and/or revisions to strategy.
- Contribute as a member of AKF’s leadership team, keeping leaders up to date with program performance, making strategy recommendations and ensuring the email program needs and considerations are understood and met.
- After 90 days in the position, lead and mentor one direct report (the Email Marketing Manager), maintaining a positive, productive working environment while working toward strategic goals.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in email marketing and fundraising (healthcare nonprofit preferred, college degree preferred). 1-2 years of supervisory experience is required.
- Experience with online email software and tools—expertise with Blackbaud’s Luminate Online and Engaging Networks software is highly preferred. Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge, a similar platform, and Classy.com is desirable but not required.
- Proficiency in HTML, Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience coordinating multiple projects and adhering to strict deadlines while working in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate well, integrating feedback from varying stakeholders while navigating competing priorities and perspectives to ensure project goals are met.
The American Kidney Fund fights kidney disease on all fronts as the nation’s leading kidney nonprofit—no kidney organization impacts more lives than AKF. We are grateful to our big-hearted donor community that makes all of this work possible. From prevention through post-transplant living, we are proud to be there by the sides of patients through every challenge that comes their way.
AKF’s vision is a world without kidney disease. Until that day comes, we believe that every kidney patient should have access to health care, and every person at risk for kidney disease should be empowered to prevent it. Ninety-seven cents of every dollar we spend goes to patients and programs. One of the nation’s highest-rated nonprofit organizations, AKF has held Charity Navigator’s highest 4-star rating for 20 years running and holds the Candid (formerly GuideStar) Platinum Seal of Transparency.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org with “AKF – Director of Email Marketing #2023-2795 SA” as the subject of the email.
Please note: The budgeted salary range for this position is $100K - $105K.
Job responsibilities are similar to the following positions: Director of Marketing, Email Marketing Manager, Sr. Manager of Email.
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended a competency-driven approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.