Director – Institutional Programs (hybrid)
For nearly 20 years, Excelencia in Education has been charting a course for innovative, collaborative, and actionable efforts to accelerate Latino student success in higher education throughout the United States. Invoking a unique confianza approach, Excelencia functions as a facilitator, guide, and catalyst for colleges and universities, large and small, to cultivate the conditions necessary for transformative change that helps more Latino students achieve their aspirations. As part of this mission, the Institutional Programs Team identifies, aggregates, and promotes evidence-based practices that intentionally serve Latino students through Examples of Excelencia and the Growing What Works Database. The team supports practitioners in sharing their impact to help sustain and scale their efforts on campus and in their communities.
Reporting to and working closely with the Vice President of Institutional Programs, you will lead a team of three and oversee day-to-day operations of three national programs (Examples of Excelencia, Growing What Works, and Program for Latino Student Success while implementing a strategy to advance and scale each, starting with Growing What Works. We will look to your expertise to evaluate and maximize processes to ensure each program runs smoothly and efficiently while managing staff resources and responsibilities to provide the most value as we continue to grow. You will also work across the organization, collaborating with your peer directors to support cross-functional team dynamics.
Excelencia is a fast-paced and quickly evolving nonprofit organization with a passionate team deeply committed to its mission and community. We are seeking a results-oriented and collaborative program director with experience in staff leadership and process improvement to build on our strong foundation and advance the mission of accelerating Latino student success in higher education.
How You’ll Make an Impact
- Direct the Examples of Excelencia process on an annual basis supporting the managers by evaluating and improving current processes and tools for effective implementation of the annual awards cycle. Determine how to strategically modify and update resources and events to meet the broader needs of programs and practices to more intentionally serve Latino students. Direct the Growing What Works efforts, in partnership with the manager, to promote and scale evidence-based programs accelerating Latino student success.
- Facilitate the development and growth of a practitioner network leading evidence-based practices working for Latino students. Work collaboratively with Excelencia colleagues to develop engagement efforts in response to collective program needs. Establish and facilitate clear guidance to programs on how to incorporate and implement tools and resources to help scale their practices. Coordinate convenings and other engagement opportunities to generate and nurture practitioner connections.
- Coordinate and support the Institutional Practices team. In coordination with the VP, develop and assist the team to execute the needs of the portfolio, ensuring timely and quality deliverables for all efforts. Provide feedback to promote individual growth and development to advance the organization. Spearhead work that analyzes progress, efficiency, productivity, and achievements.
- Contribute to and propel the broader institutional efforts implemented by Excelencia. Work collaboratively and strategically with other portfolios, teams, and individuals to support transformation efforts. Capture, share, and utilize learning from across the network to develop different types of communication that compels the participation and engagement of institutional partners in evidence-based practices efforts.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- You’ll enjoy a flexible work environment, collaborating twice a week in our Washington, DC office and working from your home office three days a week.
- The budgeted salary range for this role is $80-90K annually, with a comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision, and dental insurance; paid annual leave, sick leave, and federal holidays; time off between Christmas and New Year’s; a retirement plan with employer contribution, tuition reimbursement, and support for professional development.
- You will join a high-performing team, passionate about accelerating Latino student success in higher-education by supporting transformational change at institutions to SERVE (not just enroll) Latino students. Your colleagues are eager to offer help, figure things out together, celebrate our wins, and reflect on our processes.
- Strengthen programs, policy, and events. Working in partnership with the VP and organization leadership, help shape the thinking and direction for each of the programs, spur innovation, and align programmatic goals to support our mission. Work closely with colleagues across the organization to achieve results. Support and inform events and related planning. Ensure all deliverables, from publications to activities to events, follow appropriate timelines and adhere to high standards of quality.
- Promote organizational culture and communication. Contribute to and support coordination and communication across the organization. Create space for discussion, learning, and divergent views. Bridge gaps between stakeholders. Help build and reinforce a strong culture of rigor, innovation, transparency, and positive engagement.
- Facilitate teams. Support collaboration across teams. Leverage tools, structures, and resources to ensure each team and/or individual can meet and exceed their goals. Collaborate with peer directors to coordinate projects across the organization.
- Guide staff development. Lead, coach, and supervise staff. Support their professional growth and help them to develop skills to excel in their roles. Create an environment that is supportive and accountable.
- Enhance external efforts. Assist with external partnerships. Support relationships with funders and supporters of our work. Serve as a representative for Excelencia’s work and role in the field with all stakeholders.
- 6+ years of program management experience, preferably in a nonprofit or capacity building organization, overseeing a portfolio of programs or events, assessing impact, and creating a team culture of collaboration and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated success in leading teams, supporting staff development, and implementing processes that support team success and goal attainment.
- Proficiency with technology, particularly Mac computers, Microsoft products, and web-based software. Familiarity with Asana, or other project management software is a plus.
- Professional communication and relational skills. Able to interact with institutional stakeholders at all levels, graciously recognize their perspectives, and understand how to be a resource to them.
Launched in 2004 in the nation’s capital, Excelencia in Education accelerates Latino student success in higher education by promoting Latino student achievement, conducting analyses to inform education policies, advancing evidence-based practices, and collaborating with those committed and ready to close equity gaps in degree completion. We are building a powerful and wide-sweeping movement to accelerate Latino student success in higher education, which in turn addresses the U.S. economy’s need for a highly educated workforce and civic leadership.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Simply email your resume to Lilly Khan at email@example.com with “Excelencia – Director, Institutional Programs#2023-2778 SA” as the subject of the email.
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended a competency-driven approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.