Executive Vice President Financial Products and Services (remote/hybrid)
As Civic Builders’ EVP of Financial Products and Services, you will oversee all aspects of the Facilities Investment Fund (FIF), a groundbreaking partnership with the Walton Family Foundation, bringing over $300 million in affordable loan capital to finance facilities for high-performing, under-resourced public charter schools and networks nationwide. Civic Builders’ portfolio represents $1.45 billion invested into economically distressed communities to ensure all students have access to safe, positive, and student-centered learning environments. We have supported the growth of 73 schools educating more than 39,000 students annually with a 90% graduation rate.
We are seeking an experienced, creative leader with an in-depth understanding of the lending process, experience with structuring funds for mission-driven organizations, and expertise in leading teams to develop financial products and services that meet the specific needs of underserved and marginalized communities. In a volatile market where many lenders are hesitant to take on risk, our partnership with the Walton Family Foundation allows us to lean into the challenge of creating innovative facilities funding solutions for school leaders so they can focus on helping their students thrive.
Reporting directly to the CEO, you will supervise three department leaders and their teams (Originations & Partnerships, Lending, and Compliance) to optimize the performance of our rapidly growing lending program.
How You’ll Make an Impact
You will provide the strategic direction and vision to help Civic Builders better serve school leaders, expand lending capabilities, and design and steward innovative loan products to make a real difference in students' lives and revitalize communities nationwide.
As a highly engaged senior leader, you will direct all business operations, manage staff relations, drive product development, and oversee capital management. You will be seen as a thought leader in the charter schools lending sector, acting as the face of FIF with external stakeholders (nonprofit developers and lenders, intermediary organizations, funders, etc.) and our Board.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- You’ll enjoy a purpose-driven hybrid work environment at our New York, NY office, meeting in person to collaborate with senior leadership. This includes monthly travel if you live out of the NYC area or two days on-site weekly for local team members. Our full staff also meets quarterly for a week in NYC. We are flexible to accommodate the needs of any candidate with the right match of skills and experience.
- The budgeted range for this position is $225k - 275k with bonus eligibility. The salary offered will be commensurate with experience and location. Our benefits package includes healthcare insurance (medical, dental, and vision); flexible spending/health savings accounts; generous PTO (holidays, vacation, and sick days); 401k retirement plan (Roth and traditional) with employer match; disability and life insurance; 12 weeks of paid parental/family leave; a commuter benefits program; learning and professional development resources and reimbursement; social and educational team outings; cell phone plan reimbursement and equipment replacement; and a stipend for home office setup.
- Civic Builders believes that diversity, in all its forms, enriches society and our organization. When our staff, Board, and partners reflect, value, and embrace the voices and perspectives of those most impacted by what we do, we have a deeper understanding and connection to their needs and more effectively achieve our aspiration of improving lives, revitalizing communities, and helping children receive the education they deserve.
Strategic Leadership and Stakeholder Management
- Seek out and develop relationships with capital providers (commercial banks and foundations) while maintaining connections with existing partners.
- Develop and shape Civic Builders’ messaging and vision to connect with external stakeholders and develop new partnerships.
- Oversee content development, creation, and dissemination to demonstrate our continued impact to partners and key stakeholders.
- Serve as an expert advisor to the Board and senior leaders by analyzing complex financial information to assist data-driven decision-making.
- Evaluate the charter school facilities financing landscape to identify current and future market needs and spearhead the development of new lending products to maximize reach and impact.
- Respond to concerns or challenges with the current lending offering and implement changes to strengthen the structure of FIF.
- Work across Originations & Partnerships, Lending, Lending Compliance, and other teams that support FP&S to assess needs and implement ongoing business process and systems improvements that foster efficient, scalable practices and standardize the work.
- Establish clear staffing plans to support the full scope of business operations, ensuring staff resources and responsibilities are allocated to provide the most strategic value.
- Delegate and manage day-to-day business processes and workflows and ad-hoc strategic projects.
- Manage staff performance and provide ongoing training and development opportunities to nurture professional growth and support high productivity.
- Stay abreast of capital available to 1) drive product improvement, 2) strengthen the financial sustainability of FIF’s operations, and 3) manage risks associated with the FIF portfolio.
- Secure and add new sources of capital from banks, foundations, and through grant applications to capitalize the lending business at Civic.
- Oversee business operations of the Originations and Partnerships team, including monitoring and growing the pipeline of new business, the intake process for prospective borrowers, and identifying trends.
- Oversee business operations of the Lending team, including credit policy, the loan approval process, and improving and refining the product offering.
- Oversee the Lending Compliance team to ensure capital is well managed and monitored per all lending and grant agreements, ensure lending business is financially sustainable, and produce appropriate reporting to confirm all.
- 15-20 years of facilities lending experience at a CDFI or a similar institution providing financial services to underserved communities; familiar with credit, lending compliance, loan origination, real estate lending structures, cash management, and fund structuring. Experience with charter schools is a plus.
- 8+ years of hands-on experience leading a team of 3-8 people, including onboarding, professional development, developing workplace culture, etc. Experience working with distributed teams is a plus.
- A proven record of successful business management practices to support financial performance and profitability.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, MBA or master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- A strong commitment to Civic’s mission to create paths for affordable access to permanent facilities for high-performing charter schools that deliver excellent education to students in communities where the need is greatest.
Civic Builders was established in 2002 to address the immediate need for charter school facilities support. By assuming development and lending needs such as financing, design, and construction, Civic Builders helps new charter schools open and growing charter schools reach more students.
Since completing the first school building opening in 2004, Civic Builders has partnered with the best educators to build or finance inspiring schools in under-resourced neighborhoods nationwide. Civic Builders works with small, independent charter schools, as well as large charter networks.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Civic Builders - EVP Financial Products and Services #2023-2777 SA” as the subject of the email.
Job responsibilities are similar to the following positions: Senior Vice President, Vice President of Lending and Development, Vice President, Head of Credit.
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended a competency-driven approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.