Vice President, Development (remote)
Decarbonization and the transition to clean energy are critical for addressing climate change, improving public health, enhancing energy security, and promoting economic growth. Electric utilities are one of the most significant leverage points in accelerating this transition.
With 1,100+ members, including 700+ utilities representing 72% of US electric consumers (and growing), the Smart Electric Power Alliance (SEPA) helps utilities (investor-owned, public power, and electric cooperatives), technology companies, state and federal energy regulators, and other energy stakeholders solve their unique clean energy challenges with support for electrification, grid integration, and regulatory and business innovation while ensuring equitable access for all. We are seeking a Vice President of Development experienced in successfully building and leading a new division within an organization and a proven record of securing funding from diverse sources.
In this highly visible role, you will be a key member of the Executive Team and report directly to the CEO. You will design and execute a strategic engagement strategy that focuses on long-term, multiyear funding growth at SEPA through private foundations; federal, state, and local grants; and other mission-aligned funding sources. We will look to you to cultivate new relationships with grantor partners and bring existing contacts within the governmental grant arenas and private foundations working in the energy and climate change space. SEPA’s areas of expertise are:
- Research and analysis
- Stakeholder convening and facilitation
- Content and programming
- Technical subject matter expertise
Examples of our work include the Utility Transformation Challenge, Utility Carbon Reduction Tracker, Benchmarking Equitable Transportation Electrification report, the Renovate Initiative to promote innovation through an improved regulatory process, our work with Puerto Rico to build a resilient and sustainable power sector, and research on managed electric vehicle charging programs and impacts on the power grid.
Your ability to seek and nurture strategic partnerships, determine alignment between funders’ interests and SEPA’s expertise, propose solutions that get results, and build an effective team will be critical to success in the role. This is a unique opportunity to create an impactful development strategy and shape your division from the ground up.
How You’ll Make an Impact
You will position SEPA as a trusted facilitator that brings energy stakeholders together for dialogue leading to actionable solutions and generates the revenue we need to support and accelerate our nation’s transformation to a carbon-free energy system. With a deep understanding of SEPA’s work, you will translate our expertise into large-scale funding opportunities upwards of $250K each.
- Propose and secure funding to grow our federal grant revenue from $400K - 500K to $1M within the first 2 years. You will evaluate the clean energy landscape to identify opportunities to proactively engage with government agencies (DOE, DOD, DOT, FEMA), positioning SEPA as a prime recipient for pass-through funding.
- Propose and secure funding to grow private funding revenue to $5M by 2030. You will research private foundations that align with SEPA’s mission and goals to identify potential funding sources, build relationships with foundation staff, and cultivate partnership opportunities that leverage SEPA’s expertise in support of foundation funding priorities.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- This role offers a remote working environment with the option of a Washington, DC co-working space. Travel is required 1-2 times per month on average for SEPA events/meetings and meetings with external stakeholders.
- The budgeted salary range for this position is $200K - 220K. We offer an outstanding benefits package, including fully paid health, dental, vision, and HRA; Flexible Spending Account; fully paid short & long-term disability; life insurance; 24 days of PTO; travel assistance; 401(k) with 4% employer match; telecommuting reimbursement; professional development reimbursement; employee assistance program; health and wellness reimbursement; and pet insurance discounts.
- You will enjoy working in a collaborative and highly supportive work environment with a great team of trustworthy and approachable colleagues. You will experience a culture driven by adaptability, innovation, camaraderie, humility, ownership, and transparency.
- Creating diversity in the energy industry is just as important to SEPA as diversity in our workforce. We have aggressive recruitment targets for our Board of Directors (gender parity and 40% membership from underrepresented communities, including people of color, low-income, native populations, LGBTQ, etc.) as well as our employees (to match the ethnic composition of the US workforce). Our goal is to ensure our workforce reflects the organizations we serve and that our staff is engaged.
- Serve as the primary executive responsible for obtaining philanthropic and governmental funding for the organization.
- Meet or exceed specific and measurable key performance indicators (KPIs) around revenue, engagement, and pipeline to ensure success.
- Create a proposed annual development budget, including staffing requirements, and deliver KPIs within the approved annual budget.
- Work with SEPA staff, board members, and partners in their respective areas of expertise to support development efforts.
- Serve as an advocate and ambassador for SEPA and its mission.
- Draft letters, grant proposals, grant responses, and other communications to support the engagement, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects and donors.
- Oversee a calendar of grant applications, deadlines, submissions, acceptances/rejections, and reporting requirements for all government, foundation, and corporate grants, reporting on status monthly.
- Oversee all federal and state government grants, foundation correspondence, and opportunity pipelines in Salesforce.
- Prepare acknowledgment letters for the Executive Team and mail in a timely manner. Prepare and distribute reports on revenue and activities.
- Maintain existing and establish new long-term relationships with existing and potential funders from government agencies and foundations.
Organizational Strategy and Leadership
- Key participant in the SEPA executive team’s ongoing strategic planning process and contributes to developing SEPA’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Contribute to the creation and revision of SEPA’s vision and mission.
- Translate SEPA Board and executive strategy into short and long-term actionable planning ideas and items for the team. Set annual organizational performance metrics and KPIs.
- Leverage existing resources, tools, and processes to streamline service delivery and create efficiencies. Secure additional resources, where needed, taking into account budgets and return on investment (ROI). Manage the budget, carefully evaluating ROI from staff time and expenses.
- Coach, mentor, and provide professional development opportunities for staff.
- Manage special projects aligned with SEPA’s mission to advance clean energy and grid modernization solutions.
- Accountable for portions of annual organizational revenue.
- Represent SEPA’s executive leadership at industry events.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience, including at least five years of fundraising ($250K+) experience with private foundation grant funders.
- Proven success in winning government grants.
- Experience interacting and presenting to a C-Suite and Board of Directors and possess existing senior executive and C-Suite relationships within the energy sector.
- Entrepreneurial ability to develop alliances and coordinate shared interests of all parties.
- Experience setting, managing, and monitoring budgets.
- Experience managing development projects, including problem analysis and critical thinking, with strong operational, analytical, and management skills.
The Smart Electric Power Alliance is dedicated to helping all electric power stakeholders accelerate the transformation to a carbon-free electricity system. To maximize impact, SEPA focuses across three pathways: Regulatory and Business Innovation, Grid Integration, and Electrification. Through educational content, working groups, peer-to-peer engagements, and custom projects, SEPA facilitates collaboration, develops innovative strategies, and raises awareness of actionable solutions for our members and partner organizations.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at email@example.com with “SEPA – VP Development #2023-2774 SA” as the subject of the email.
Please note: The budgeted salary range for this position is $200K - 220K.
Job responsibilities are similar to the following positions: Senior Director of Development, Director of Development, Chief Development Officer.
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended a competency-driven approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.