Executive Director & Chief Executive Officer (Alexandria, VA)
Our nation’s 100,000 dedicated 9-1-1 professionals, serving communities large and small 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, deserve innovative and advanced tools to perform their lifesaving work. As Executive Director & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials International (APCO), you will advocate for, empower, and educate public safety communications professionals who are working in 4,500+ emergency communication centers across our nation.
In this role, you will develop strong working relationships with volunteer leaders, coalitions of public safety leaders, regulators, and legislators to continue APCO’s proud tradition of always doing what is right for public safety. You will ensure that APCO takes a leading role in complex issues like interoperability, cybersecurity, telematics, priority access to the communications spectrum, and Next Generation 9-1-1.
Founded in 1935, APCO is the world’s oldest and largest organization of public safety communications professionals. APCO’s 35,000+ membership includes those who manage, operate, build, and support public safety communications systems for law enforcement, fire, emergency medical, and other public safety agencies. The association supports its members – and the general public – by providing industry expertise, professional development, technical assistance, advocacy, and outreach. APCO’s 64-person professional staff is unparalleled in their commitment, work ethic, and productivity. Our incredible staff expertly leads a diverse portfolio of responsibilities, from advocating for public safety at the federal level and delivering high-quality training curriculum to planning and executing the premier public safety communications conferences and events in the country – while always aligning their exceptional service ethic to our long-range strategic plan and goals.
Key Focus Areas
- Business model innovation. Scan the horizon for unmet member needs, risks, and opportunities to better serve APCO members. Launch vital initiatives (including spectrum management, standards development, consulting services, and forward-looking AI tools like IntelliComm) that address unmet marketplace needs, advance public safety, and improve APCO’s financial strength. Provide strategic guidance to volunteer leaders and staff, including developing business model forecasts and financial projections to frame the impact of potential innovations. APCO is financially strong, with revenue growth from $11.3M to $13.5M in the past five years and more than six months of operating reserves.
- Education, training, and standards. Lead the development of innovative new education courses, certifications, standards, and programs – ensuring public safety professionals are well-versed in emerging technologies and prepared for future challenges.
- Events and conferences. APCO’s Annual Conference & Expo is the premier event for public safety communications officials, from frontline telecommunicators and comm center managers to public safety communications equipment and services vendors. Serve as emcee, and oversee the planning, development, and flawless execution of our events and conferences.
- Governance. Serve and support the Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and Executive Council; oversee a related foundation, Public Safety Foundation of America; partner with executive leadership to develop strategic plans; evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning, the introduction of new programs and strategies, and regulatory and legislative action.
- Government affairs. Develop deep and trusting relationships with members of federal legislative and regulatory bodies. Lead, participate in, and support coalitions that are working to improve public safety communications.
- Marketing and communications. Thanks to our keen focus on creating value at every member touchpoint, APCO has nearly doubled our membership in the past 10 years. In this role, you will help to ensure that our messaging continues to be crisp and effective, whether the goal is to persuade new members to join or to advocate for regulatory or legislative changes that advance public safety.
- Staff leadership. APCO enjoys a strong culture of transparency, trust, and accountability. Our long success with a balanced scorecard approach helps everyone see exactly how their work advances the organization's mission. As CEO, your role is to ensure that our people have the resources and support to achieve even more than they thought possible. Lead the association staff's management, recruitment, employment, compensation, professional development, motivation, performance, and discipline. Mentor department heads to set clear goals and achieve progress toward objectives. Foster teamwork and motivate others to work productively together.
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, public administration, political science, government and legislative affairs, or another related field. A master’s degree is highly desirable.
- Significant experience with public safety, including executive-level management experience.
- Loyalty to APCO’s mission and the best interests of public safety while remaining empathetic to the needs and desires of members, elected officers, and staff.
- A visionary leader who embraces opportunities for growth and development and employs innovative approaches to bolster APCO’s national and international presence.
- A lifelong learner who continually looks for ways to grow professionally and personally. The ability to immerse oneself in getting to know APCO staff and elected officials personally while embracing APCO’s unique brand and culture.
- Decisive with the ability to cut through irrelevant information to quickly assess a situation, identify the best course of action, and implement prudent decisions.
- Ability to work primarily from our executive office in Alexandria, Virginia, with regular travel to our headquarters in Daytona Beach, Florida.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- APCO has a worldwide reputation as the gold standard in public safety communications, earning respect from regulators, legislators, and the entire public safety profession. In this role, you will have an enormous impact on the future of the field and the members we serve.
- Our members save lives 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- The APCO staff are dedicated to doing what is right, every time, for the safety of the public.
- We are financially sound with a solid business model and strong reserves, so you can focus your attention on evolving to what is new on the horizon.
- You will enjoy working with dedicated, passionate, mission-oriented elected leaders who share a passion for public service and are committed to making a difference in the world.
- We offer a robust benefits package that includes generous PTO, medical/dental/vision insurance, retirement contribution, and more.
Please submit your application by April 21st.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Bob Corlett at firstname.lastname@example.org with “APCO - CEO #2023-2763 SA” as the subject of the email.
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended an evidence-based approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.