Director of Member Engagement (remote)
Membership and member programs are integral to our mission at Women Business Leaders of the U.S. Health Care Industry Foundation (WBL). As the Director of Member Engagement, you will be the face of our organization, getting to know and deeply understand our members and their needs in order to develop effective strategies for member recruitment, engagement, and retention. The ability to build relationships and glean valuable insights from your interactions will be integral to success in this role. Our 1,200 members are senior executive women leaders who are CEO and Senior VP-level business executives in health care, and we connect and convene them to create meaningful cross-sector relationships, expand their leadership, and harness their collective power to improve the industry. This is a high-touch, highly visible, growth-focused position, and you will be joining a small organization where we welcome innovation and putting smart ideas into practice.
You will report to the Executive Director and supervise two direct reports: the Marketing and Communications Manager and the Senior Manager, Corporate Partnerships. As a member of the senior staff, you will work closely with colleagues and volunteer leaders to support special interest groups and volunteer committees, serving as the key staff leader to the Membership Committee and the DEI Committee.
Our membership is comprised of accomplished, professional women with high standards for excellence, and we strive to do the same in our service to them. In this role, you will frequently interact with members to understand their needs and ensure they receive value from participating in WBL – and translate that to internal staff strategy and planning discussions, always serving as the voice of member experience.
How You’ll Make an Impact
- You will bring creativity, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a collaborative, team-focused approach to enhancing the value for members.
- You will build strong relationships with and support some of the most exciting women leaders in health care and life sciences.
- You will develop a strategic messaging strategy that tailors communications to member interests.
- You will serve as a mentor and sounding board for your team, encouraging new ideas.
- Your work will help others succeed, enabling members to improve their organizations, grow their careers, and impact their communities.
- WBL provides the arena to elevate the role of women in business.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- WBL maintains a small in-person office location in Arlington, VA. Our staff has been fully remote since 2020. This role is eligible for remote work, but may occasionally require travel to the Arlington, VA office or around the continental US for in-person WBL events. Applicants outside the Washington, DC, metropolitan area are encouraged to apply. Reliable access to secure, high-quality internet service is required. All applicants must be willing to accommodate a US eastern time-zone schedule of operations.
- Starting salary for this role is $95 - $110k plus eligibility for a bonus.
- We offer generous benefits including:
- Fully paid PPO medical, dental, vision (plus 90% paid for family)
- Flexible vacation policy with 23 days paid time off in the first year and unlimited vacation beginning in the third year
- Short term, life, and disability insurance
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Cell phone/internet stipends
- 403(b) plan with a 4% employer contribution.
We pride ourselves on being a flexible workplace that trusts our employees to do high quality work in a timely manner. We offer summer half day Fridays and care about our team and their work life balance. Professional development is highly encouraged and, in many cases, an expectation of doing the job well.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in membership or client recruitment, retention, or development. Experience with messaging, strategic communications, and leveraging data to drive growth.
- Demonstrated experience of successful recruitment and retention campaigns for professional membership associations or organizations that focus on effective client or customer affiliations or memberships.
- Experience working in a professional membership association, or an organization focused on effective client or customer affiliations or memberships.
- Highly literate in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, database access, and electronic research.
- Experience hiring, training, developing, supervising, and evaluating staff.
- Occasional travel to in-person member events, including the occasional weekend for our larger events (2 times annually).
- Evaluate and evolve the current strategy for membership growth and retention to ensure annual goals and financial objectives are achieved.
- Develop and maintain metrics and key performance indicators related to membership growth and retention.
- Evaluate and provide feedback for performance and quality improvement year over year.
- Initiate the development of strategies to raise the organization’s visibility, grow the membership pipeline, and utilize communication, marketing, and messaging strategies to ensure WBL is competitive with similar organizations.
- Facilitate the establishment of plans that are focused on growth of the sponsorship base directly engaged to support members.
- Speak as the voice of the member in strategy discussions and recommend new products and services to advance member value and success.
- Cultivate relationships with other associations and organizations that help strengthen WBL’s pipeline.
- Develop and recommend new member programs, products, and services.
- Collaborate with the events team to suggest events that members find relevant and impactful; create engagement opportunities that support the current and future needs of members.
- Evaluate the current product and service performance annually and recommend improvements.
- Finalize and deliver a new Special Interest Group product line.
- Serve as staff liaison to the WBL Membership and the WBL Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committees; serve as liaison to future membership-focused committees as needed.
- Support and maintain a work environment that attracts, retains, and motivates top-quality team members.
- Engage direct reports to develop, promote, guide, and mentor them to success; proactively promote their success throughout the organization.
- Develop and maintain strong, open communication with those under your leadership, keeping them informed of activities and maintaining a collaborative, positive environment.
- Proactively work with direct reports to develop a plan for their continued education.
- Work with leadership to develop a plan for your own continued education and leadership development.
- Passion for WBL’s mission: helping senior women in health care advance to the boardroom and the C-Suite, improving the industry along the way.
- Excellent relationship-building skills; a joy for meeting new people.
- Familiarity with the business of the health care and/or life sciences industry or corporate governance.
- Curiosity and inquisitiveness, a natural problem-solver with an outgoing personality and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- A proven record of meeting or exceeding goals; excitement about thriving in a fast-paced, evolving workplace, and an ability to work well with a small team.
- Active listening skills and a balanced approach to giving and receiving feedback.
- A balanced approach to strategic thinking and attention to detail.
- Able to establish effective relationships with senior executives, with a demonstrated emphasis on the effective use of technology to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High-level technology skills and aptitude; adapts quickly to new technology when introduced (experience using Salesforce is very helpful in this role).
WBL is a 20+ year established business-focused non-profit. Our mission is to increase the number of women who serve in the C-Suite and on boards of health care companies, and to impact the industry by connecting and convening our members together to build relationships and grow.
WBL provides networking resources, an annual executive educational conference, a boardroom training event, and many smaller virtual programs for our members to network and build connections. Our funding is through membership fees, sponsorships, and event registrations. We recently launched a charitable campaign.
WBL’s staff is a small but growing group of entrepreneurial-minded professionals who work hard to provide a top-quality business resource for our members. We seek team members with a passion for advancing the careers of women in business at the senior-most level and individuals who thrive on bringing people together and helping them achieve their personal and business goals.
- We are a small staff and supportive teammates; everyone pitches in and we all truly enjoy working with one another.
- We have high expectations of each other and thrive in a culture of excellence and professionalism.
- We believe in flexibility and autonomy.
- Our culture is ambitious, positive, and results oriented.
WBL seeks to model the diversity of the members we serve. As such, we strongly urge applications from all interested people without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
WBL is working with Staffing Advisors to fill this role; please direct all communications to them.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org with “WBL – Director Member Engagement #2023-2757 SA” as the subject of the email.
Please note: The budgeted salary range for this position is $95 - $110k
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended an evidence-based approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.