Senior Manager, Marketing and Communications (hybrid)
As Senior Manager, Marketing and Communications, initially managing two direct reports and building out a more robust marketing team, you’ll create, implement, and evaluate integrated marketing and communications initiatives. You’ll report to the Content and Creative Associate Director and play a key role in research and planning, content creation, omni-channel implementation, and analysis. Our portfolio includes promoting research funding opportunities, community engagement opportunities, and other ways for stakeholders to draw value from our research, including our annual meeting, online training resources, town halls, and webinars.
Your initial focus will be establishing email marketing and social media strategies and workflows (segmentation, drip campaigns, retargeting, content development, paid and organic advertising, etc.) to increase event participation and improve digital engagement across our nine stakeholder segments. We are seeing an increase in engagement every research funding cycle but want our marketing metrics to better reflect the size and interest of our audiences. With a robust archive of existing content and a team eager to embrace new ideas, you’ll have a solid foundation to build from, and your strategic vision will be well-supported.
Healthcare decisions are among the most critical we make in our lives, but there is a lack of evidence-based information available to patients and their caregivers about which healthcare options might yield the best outcomes for them, given their circumstances. The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), the leading funder of patient-centered comparative clinical effectiveness research in the US, is dedicated to changing that. Research funded by PCORI concentrates on healthcare challenges confronting American families every day, including cancer, diabetes, maternal mortality, opioid use, mental health, and equitable access to care, among many others.
How You’ll Make an Impact
Patients deserve to know whether some approaches work better than others, and caregivers, clinicians, and all of our stakeholders also benefit from better information about different care options. You will drive digital marketing efforts to conceive and implement campaigns that broaden PCORI’s reach and increase engagement with stakeholders across all channels.
- Inspire research community members (in academic, clinical, and research institutions) to apply for research funding focused on outcomes that patients and other healthcare stakeholders tell us are important.
- Support our community engagement team in sharing how patients and caregivers can make a difference as equitable partners in the research process, leading to greater use and uptake of research results by patients and stakeholders within the healthcare community.
- Strengthen our legislative team’s ability to demonstrate PCORI’s impact to policymakers and lawmakers on the Hill to shape public policy and the future of healthcare decisions at all levels of government.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- You’ll enjoy a purpose-driven hybrid work environment collaborating with your team 1-2 days in our Washington, DC, office and telework the rest of the week.
- We are securely funded and offer an excellent compensation package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance; long-term and short-term disability; 401(a) plan; life insurance; and more.
- You are joining a team of dedicated, mission-driven professionals who are smart, dedicated, hardworking, friendly, and genuinely interested in helping each other succeed. Your efforts will be appreciated.
- Collaborating with the Associate Director of Content and Creative, develop and implement multi-channel integrated marketing and communications strategies to enhance the organization’s visibility while driving stakeholder engagement and furthering PCORI’s mission.
- Oversee development and management of automated email campaigns to reach existing and new audiences.
- Provide marketing and communications expertise, integrating partner inputs and goals to define campaign objectives and strategies that optimize engagement and achieve PCORI’s strategic goals.
- Translate the content of PCORI-funded research and research-related projects into meaningful and impactful marketing messages and content for the broader healthcare community via email, storytelling, website, and social media platforms.
- Ensure adherence to the organizational brand architecture, including messaging, tone, style, and design guidelines.
- Oversee technical, editorial review, and copyediting processes, ensuring clarity, scientific accuracy, and adherence to AP, AMA, and PCORI style guidelines.
- Review metrics for key channels and campaigns, update dashboards, and synthesize key insights and recommendations to enhance future initiatives. Collaborate on reports for concluded campaigns, presenting results.
- Maintain knowledge of emerging trends, developments, concepts, best practices, and techniques.
- Assign and manage freelance editorial, copyedit, and production support as needed to ensure a timely flow of high-quality content, adhering to assigned budgets and timelines.
- Supervise a team and foster their professional development.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; specialization in marking, communications, or a related discipline is strongly preferred.
- Experience in health care or health policy field is preferred.
- Experience developing data-driven marketing plans.
- 10+ years of experience in marketing.
- Knowledge of digital marketing as well as CRM and email messaging tools.
- 5+ years of experience leading a diverse team or function.
- Strong writing/editing skills, including line-editing experience, ability to shape and improve content conceptually for target audiences, and experience in repackaging material for multiple uses and audiences.
- Familiarity with standard style manuals (e.g., AP, Chicago, AMA).
- MS Office Suite proficient (i.e., Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Word) and familiarity with SharePoint a plus.
- Detail-oriented; strong organizational, prioritization, and project management skills.
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks, perform well under pressure, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines and objectives.
- Proven track record of ideating and delivering digital marketing campaigns that drive impactful results and engagement.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to present and communicate ideas clearly and persuasively.
- Strong judgment and critical thinking skills to effectively evaluate and react to emerging issues.
The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) is an independent nonprofit organization authorized by Congress in 2010. Its mission is to fund research that will provide patients, their caregivers and clinicians with the evidence-based information needed to make better-informed healthcare decisions. PCORI is committed to continually seeking input from a broad range of stakeholders to guide its work.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Use the "Apply" button on this pager or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at email@example.com with “PCORI – Sr Mgr Marketing and Communications #2023-2755 SA” as the subject of the email.
Job responsibilities are similar to the following positions: Director of Marketing, Assistant Director of Marketing, Director of Marketing and Communications. Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications.
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended a competency-driven approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Internally this position title is: Senior Manager, Integrated Communications & Promotions.