Senior Director of Brand Marketing (hybrid)
Kidney disease affects more than 1 in 7 U.S. adults — 37 million Americans. It is the fastest growing non-contagious disease, and it has an enormous impact on patients and families. With breakthroughs in research and treatment and developments in policy action, this is an exciting time to work for the American Kidney Fund (AKF) and make a real impact in the lives of patients and their families. AKF offers an unmatched scope of programs that support people wherever they are in their fight against kidney disease — from prevention through post-transplant living. Join our team as Senior Director of Brand Marketing to become a respected leader at AKF and work at the forefront of saving and changing lives.
The Work You’ll Do
- Report to and work closely with the Chief Communications and Marketing Officer to develop and implement AKF’s annual marketing strategy to deepen engagement with our fundraising, patient education, and advocacy programs, advance relationships with corporate sponsors, and demonstrate AKF’s unique value to the nephrology community. This is a hands-on role in which you will have creative flexibility, and your vision will be well-supported by our Executive Team.
- As a member of the Leadership Team, you’ll frequently interact with AKF’s CEO, Executive Team and other colleagues, offering insights, feedback, and strategic advice, while building strong relationships with colleagues across the organization to further the success of our mission.
- As an experienced supervisor who is an outstanding leader, you’ll be a mentor and colleague to your growing team, leveraging their skills and ideas to energize their performance, nurture their professional growth and meet and exceed our objectives.
Work Environment, Salary, and Benefits
- You’ll enjoy a hybrid work schedule, with two to four days per month in our North Bethesda, MD, office across from Pike and Rose. You’ll telework for the remainder of the month. Occasional out-of-town travel is required (less than 5%).
- The budgeted salary range for this position is $140K - $150K, with the potential for raises and bonuses through annual performance reviews. AKF offers a comprehensive benefits plan that includes a matching 403b retirement plan, health, dental, vision, and life insurance, short- and long-term disability, flex spending, and generous leave.
- Additional perks include paid parking at our underground garage, Metro subsidies, employee-led recognition and social events throughout the year, shorter workdays on Fridays, and a culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion and emphasizes the importance of working together as a staff to continue making the organization a great place to work.
The American Kidney Fund fights kidney disease on all fronts as the nation’s leading kidney nonprofit — no kidney organization impacts more lives than AKF. We are grateful to our big-hearted donor community that makes all of this work possible. From prevention through post-transplant living, we are proud to be there by the sides of patients through every challenge that comes their way.
AKF’s vision is a world without kidney disease. Until that day comes, we believe that every kidney patient should have access to health care, and every person at risk for kidney disease should be empowered to prevent it. Ninety-seven cents of every dollar we spend goes to patients and programs. One of the nation’s highest-rated nonprofit organizations, AKF has held Charity Navigator’s highest 4-star rating for 20 years running and holds the Candid (formerly Guidestar) Platinum Seal of Transparency.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- Your role will make a significant impact in the lives of people living with kidney disease and their families.
- This is an exciting time in the kidney space, as researchers are developing breakthrough treatments. At AKF, we are working to ensure the patient voice is heard in the research and policy spaces.
- AKF is among the most trusted sources of kidney health information. Patients turn to us to learn how to cope with the disease and attain better health outcomes. We touch more patient lives than any kidney nonprofit, and among our programs provide financial assistance that allows low-income patients to access kidney failure treatment. More than 7% of all kidney transplants in the U.S. each year occur because of AKF financial assistance. And we have access to the population we are impacting, so we can truly measure our success.
- You are joining a strong team of diverse, open, collaborative, and supportive colleagues who care deeply about our mission, the people we serve, and each other. The organization is led by a national board of trustees that is appropriately engaged, experienced, supportive, and appreciative of the team.
- You are joining one of the nation’s highest-rated nonprofit organizations. AKF has held Charity Navigator’s highest 4-star rating for 20 years running and holds the Candid (formerly Guidestar) Platinum Seal of Transparency. We are also proud of being named in 2020 and 2021 as one of the NonProfit Times’ Top 50 Nonprofit Employers in the United States.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in marketing, communications, or a related field, and 10 years of progressive nonprofit brand marketing experience, including budgeting and strategic planning, are required. At least 3-5 years of supervisory experience is required.
- Strong experience in developing brand strategy; working with (or as part of) nonprofit development team on corporate relationships and individual fundraising initiatives; great eye for design; solid experience with nonprofit email marketing campaigns (both fundraising and programmatic campaigns) and email technology platforms; experience developing multimedia content strategy. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite required. Experience with eCRM required.
- Builds brand awareness and loyalty for AKF to promote the mission, differentiate it from other kidney organizations and continue to enhance perceptions of AKF among key constituencies, including patients, caregivers, renal professionals, policymakers and media. Develops and executes strategies to increase the public’s engagement with AKF and cultivates relationships with key constituencies. Directs development and execution of strategic marketing and engagement tactics, working in close collaboration with the Senior Director of Digital Marketing.
- Works with the Senior Director of Digital Marketing, the marketing team and the Chief Communications and Marketing Officer to develop the annual marketing operational plan.
- Leads the creative vision across AKF and develop ideas and concepts for campaigns and content that have positive, measurable audience impact across multiple channels.
- Works in cross-functional teams across the organization, providing nonprofit marketing expertise to ensure the success of programmatic and fundraising projects. Ensures brand consistency across print and digital marketing materials, public relations, and event materials.
- Directs, implements, and assesses marketing strategies for the delivery of the organization’s initiatives, including AKF’s Health Equity Program, Kidney Action Week®, Unknown Causes of Kidney Disease project, Living Donor Protection Report Card, other reports, educational programs, patient assistance programs, and special events.
- Works closely with Senior Director of Digital Marketing to ensure brand consistency in the organization’s digital marketing program, including digital brand campaigns and social media program.
- Oversees robust email marketing and enewsletter programs, and a new eCRM implementation project (moving from Luminate Online to Engaging Networks; this system integrates with our database of record, Raisers Edge).
- Supervises internal and external resources for graphic design, video content planning, and video production activities.
- Conducts biannual brand survey with external vendor and develops and implements recommendations to continually strengthen brand-impact marketing.
- Serves as a key partner to the Development Team on fundraising initiatives.
- Plays a major role in corporate fundraising. Represents the Marketing Team in meetings with current and potential corporate funders. Contributes to proposals, helps pitch proposals, builds marketing strategies for corporate-funded campaigns, and interacts with corporate partners.
- Uses an understanding of current best practices in online giving and peer-to-peer fundraising to work with the internal team to build and execute strategy for email marketing in order to renew and upgrade existing donors and to recruit new donors.
- Works closely with the Education Team to develop multichannel education and awareness campaigns that provide kidney health information.
- Works closely with the Advocacy Team to develop campaigns that engage AKF Ambassadors in the organization’s policy agenda.
- Oversees development and production of annual report, marketing slicks for key programs and services, and other corporate collateral materials.
- Supports the Marketing Team in managing external vendors for video production, printing and graphic design.
- Collaborates with Senior Director of Communications to ensure consistent strategy and messaging throughout all communications and marketing vehicles.
- Collaborates with Advocacy Team to grow and engage the AKF Advocacy Network.
Management and operations
- Supervises a high-performing team that handles brand and content strategy, campaigns and sponsored projects, and large-scale email programs.
- Provides the team with proactive coaching and mentoring to ensure high levels of performance, job satisfaction and professional growth.
- Develops, tracks and closely manages the marketing budget in collaboration with Senior Director of Digital Marketing.
- Monitors key performance indicators (KPIs) on marketing efforts across all platforms and provides Chief Communications and Marketing Officer with quarterly updates.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences.
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org with “AKF – Sr Director of Brand Marketing #2022-2742 SA” as the subject of the email.
Job responsibilities are similar to the following positions: Director of Marketing, Director of Digital Marketing.
Please note: The budgeted salary range for this position is $140K – $150K
Staffing Advisors is committed to reducing bias in every aspect of the hiring process. We have long recommended an evidence-based approach to hiring. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.