Director of Individual Giving/Fundraising - UNRWA
This is an exciting time to join UNRWA USA as we are in a period of rapid growth. After over a decade of hard work, the American public is embracing our mission with enormous support through broad-based fundraising as well as an increase in six- and seven-figure foundation grants from large foundations like Open Society and Zakat Foundation of America.
Reporting to the executive director and managing an events and development associate, you will be responsible for oversight of nearly all organizational fundraising and therefore play a pivotal role in continuing our growth from $5 million to $10 million in revenue by 2025. Fundraising is our mission and while every UNRWA USA team member has some fundraising responsibility, we know that individual and major gifts (currently accounting for over two thirds of our operating budget) will grow exponentially with more focused attention.
In this newly created position, you will collaborate with internal staff and external partners to plan, execute, assess, and refine all individual giving efforts including messaging and execution. In conjunction with the executive director and UNRWA USA colleagues, you will design strategies and tactics to increase revenue, grow our donor base, increase donor participation, and strengthen the pipeline of mid-level and major gift donors.
We are excited to implement your ideas and tools for fundraising. While we do employ some traditional techniques (such as a twice/yearly direct mail campaign of over 30,000 recipients), we also keep up with fundraising trends and have proven success working with social media influencers and leveraging peer-to-peer fundraising (read about it here). Working with a strong team of colleagues who are strategic and forward-facing, your creative strategies to engage new donors are welcome.
About UNRWA USA
UNRWA USA aims to promote a life of dignity and human development for Palestine refugees. We are dedicated to showing Palestine refugees that Americans care. UNRWA USA is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit that supports the humanitarian and human development work of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA). UNRWA USA receives a Guidestar rating of platinum, the highest rating for transparency, accountability and administration. Of every dollar spent, 91 cents goes toward helping Palestine refugees. We spend just 6 cents on fundraising costs, and 3 cents on operations.
Through fundraising, education, and advocacy, UNRWA USA is informing the American public about UNRWA's work and generating support for programs in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank (including East Jerusalem), Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan. While the issue area may be politicized, the work of UNRWA is strictly humanitarian: providing assistance and protection—including education, healthcare, relief and social services, infrastructure, microfinance, and emergency response—for over 5 million Palestine refugees, including in situations of armed conflict.
Responsibilities as Director of Individual Giving/Fundraising
Strategic organizational fundraising planning and execution:
- In conjunction with the executive director, conceptualize and manage a dynamic annual and long-term individual fundraising strategy including digital fundraising, direct mail campaigns, monthly giving program, major and mid-level gifts and legacy gifts;
- Work closely with UNRWA USA’s management team, UNRWA’s strategic partnerships division (private sector outreach team), and UNRWA’s five field offices, to determine annual funding priorities that respond to UNRWA’s needs and resonate with UNRWA USA’s donors;
- Work with the executive director on annual and long-term fundraising goals to help achieve $10 million in annual fundraising by 2025;
- Using Salesforce, ensure proper management of individual donor information, track progress toward annual fundraising goals, and provide regular reporting to the board of directors and staff;
- As needed, build out and manage a team of fundraising professionals targeting individual supporters.
- Manage and advise on all aspects of UNRWA USA’s digital fundraising programs including email, website, and social media;
- Administer the planning, creation, implementation, maintenance and analysis of online donation capabilities, data, and results;
- Continue to build UNRWA USA’s growing peer-to-peer fundraising activities including through our Gaza 5K peer-to-peer fundraising, Gather for Gaza event series, and other third-party hosted events.
- Develop yearly direct marketing calendar and manage and advise on all aspects of the program;
- Shepherd direct mail packages through the production process including messaging in coordination with the communications department, approving copy, determining appropriate segmentation, and providing files for production;
- Expand mailing lists to optimize reach of direct mail and ensure data is current and clean.
Monthly giving program:
- Coordinate with the communications and development officer to advise and manage the Solidarity Sustainers, UNRWA USA’s monthly giving program, with an emphasis on growing the program;
- Advise strategic marketing aspects of the monthly giving program and provide formal analysis of returns and recommendations for improvements.
Major, mid-level, and legacy gifts:
- In coordination with support staff, identify and engage a pipeline of new and retained prospects through a defined portfolio of donors able to give at the $10,000+ major gift level;
- Coordinate with the executive director to actively work the portfolio to create meaningful interactions including gift solicitation and stewardship;
- Represent UNRWA USA in various capacities at donor and donor prospect meetings, with emphasis on meaningful donor stewardship and relationship building;
- Ensure mid-level donors are being cultivated, stewarded, and upgraded where possible;
- Build out UNRWA USA’s legacy giving program and promote the program through digital, direct mail, and in-person methods.
Qualifications of the Director of Individual Giving
- At least eight (8) years of individual giving experience – including the implementation of creative and on-trend fundraising strategies with proven organizational impact;
- Hands-on experience with database management and management of direct mail and monthly giving programs;
- Ability to leverage the current strengths of the organization’s fundraising team and to develop staff while determining and managing roles and responsibilities;
- Proven track record building and sustaining strong, meaningful professional relationships;
- Excellent technical skills; experience with Salesforce, Classy, Mailchimp, and Squarespace;
- Personal values for a positive and performance-driven work culture (experience working on a small team is preferred);
- Willingness and ability to work occasional nights and weekends;
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally;
- A dedication to the mission of UNRWA USA. (International experience is preferred.)
Attributes of the Director of Individual Giving
- Builder. You love to create from the ground up and share a clear vision for the future. You are able to build a program with little infrastructure in place.
- Connector. You understand how organizations work, where to build relationships, and how to get results through other people. You have a knack for creating strong and long-lasting partnerships with a variety of individuals and groups.
- Creative. Smart and creative, you recognize opportunities and take action. You know how to leverage current events and “never let a crisis go to waste.” You are comfortable with changes brought about as a result of rapid growth and development.
- Discreet. You have the highest level of discretion and confidentiality with sensitive donor information.
- Driven. You are energetic and confident, known for your can-do spirit, organizational skills, resourcefulness, and consistency. You get stuff done and are motivated by the impact your actions have.
- Mission-driven. You get what matters to the donors and what serves the mission. You are a dynamic individual who is passionate about fundraising for a cause, with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Politically astute. You understand, respect, and appreciate the challenges and constraints prospects and donors face, and you confidently guide and direct them. You represent yourself and your organization as polished, credible, and knowledgeable.
- Problem solver. You smoothly manage through ambiguity and are able to shape answers to questions when no template exists. Your passion and determination to do the right thing results in your finding a way where others see no way.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Individual Giving Candidate?
- You will be joining a strong team of colleagues who are driven and ambitious. You will report to an executive director who has over a decade of experience with the organization.
- With a culture of fundraising and effective strategies already in place, you will not have to create everything from scratch; you will leverage what works to catapult our growth.
- We are a fast-paced, rapidly growing organization. We are innovative and open to new ways of doing work; we will look for you to recommend improvements not only to our fundraising approaches, but also to our processes, technology, systems, and procedures.
- Increase in public support has led the American public to be very receptive to our calls.
- You will have resources available to help you succeed, including a contract with a fundraising data analysis organization to ensure we are effective in our efforts.
- We are one of the few charities that remain non-political while advancing social justice and supporting an important humanitarian mission.
- We offer telecommuting options and an exceptional benefits package that includes $1,000 per year for your professional development, medical, dental, and vision insurance for staff and immediate family; paid holidays; generous paid time off; and a 401K package after one year of employment.
- We have a convenient location in upper Dupont Circle in a collaborative workspace with amenities such as lounge areas, brainstorming rooms, a quiet room, game room, bike storage, unlimited coffee (including nitro brew) and tea, and an open-air patio.
To Apply for the Director of Individual Giving position:
Use the "Apply" button on this page, or simply email your resume to Ellen Greenwood at firstname.lastname@example.org with “UNRWA USA – Director of Individual Giving #2019-2500 SA” as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email and paste your cover letter in the body of your email.
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.