Director of Finance and Accounting - SEPA
As Director of Finance and Accounting for this $10 million nonprofit organization in the heart of Washington D.C., you will oversee one direct report and work with an outsourced firm to lead all finance functions including accounting, reporting, budgeting, forecasting, audits, and grants compliance. Our organization is financially stable and growing. You will help accelerate our growth by assisting department leaders and senior executives in forecasting and budgeting, producing regular reports to monitor project costs and track success against budget. Ensuring that all accounting is accurate and completed on time for monthly closings, you will maintain and prepare any necessary reporting for our $1.5 million in grants.
In this role, you will ensure that our financial reporting is transparent, accurate, and useful and that all monthly closings are timely. You will serve as the main point of contact for internal staff questions regarding financial matters, working closely with budget managers across the organization to develop and manage a rapidly growing portfolio of work. You will be responsible for planning, preparing, monitoring, coordinating, reporting, and analyzing all aspects of the organization’s finance functions. Your key financial analyses and reports for management will ensure timely and effective decision-making. We will look to you to establish overall financial and operational forecasting and develop and monitor performance metrics. We want you to understand current processes, dive into the details, connect the dots, and seek out process improvements that help us ensure the future growth of the organization. Your exacting attention to detail and systems-thinking will help us to strengthen financial controls and minimize risk while capitalizing on new opportunities.
The Smart Electric Power Alliance (SEPA), is the leading research and education membership organization helping utilities and technology companies advance clean energy and grid modernization solutions through open and transparent dialogue, objective information, and by advancing standards and interoperability. SEPA provides a unique offering of national events, leading-edge market research, education, working groups and advisory services to help our members accelerate grid modernization projects.
As the trusted platform for education, research, and collaboration, SEPA’s neutrality is a key factor in the organization’s success. Our philosophy focuses on bringing the expert stakeholders to the conversations to yield practical solutions. Our membership consists of 1,100 organizations, including utilities, technology providers, independent system operators, regulators, energy users, project developers, consultancies, and nonprofits, who look to us to provide the community, data, insight, and facilitation necessary to make the right decisions in the evolution of the utility business model and more engaging customer programs.
Responsibilities of the Director of Finance and Accounting
- Provide accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports. Conduct trend analyses and prepare cash flow forecasts and projections to help with business decision-making.
- Ensure accurate data and seamless translation between our CRM and accounting system and reconcile variances, working with colleagues across the organization as needed.
- Produce needed documentation and reports for grants compliance. Support proposal development and review proposal budgets to ensure quality and cost reasonableness.
- Develop and/or update policies, procedures, and accounting instructions where needed to improve efficiency and accuracy in financial systems.
- Support colleagues across the organization with financial questions/concerns and special projects. Help colleagues forecast the financial implication of new revenue initiatives.
- Manage the annual budgeting process, integrating department needs for upcoming projects. Monitor progress and changes and keep colleagues abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Grow, mentor, and coach a team of finance professionals. Oversee AP, AR, general ledger entries, chart of accounts, payroll processing, expense tracking, and other accounting functions; maintain internal controls to ensure GAAP compliance.
- Oversee timely completion, approval, and filing of Form 990 and related tax returns.
- Work with independent auditors to ensure smooth financial and legal audit processes.
Qualifications of the Director of Finance and Accounting
- Bachelor’s degree and at least seven years of nonprofit accounting/finance experience, including proven experience with project accounting.
- Experience managing grant compliance for federal and private grants.
- A history of clean audits; advanced working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), finance systems (experience with Sage Intaact is preferred), MS Office and Google Suite. Skilled in policy/procedure development.
- Experience in managing the annual audit preparation and process.
- Proficiency in using accounting and CRM (e.g., Salesforce and Fonteva) software tools.
- Demonstrated experience in multiple facets of accounting and finance (including monthly closings, reporting, reconciliations, cash flow analysis, billing, budgeting, payroll, and forecasting). Skilled in policies/procedure development.
- Management experience is preferred.
Attributes of the Director of Finance and Accounting
- Approachable. You operate with an open-door policy and welcome questions and ideas. You are known for being easy to talk to.
- Business savvy. You look beyond the numbers into the deeper cause. You understand how new initiatives affect financials and you can easily explain the rationale.
- Clear communicator. You communicate clearly and succinctly, simplifying complex data into easily understandable language that less-financially savvy colleagues can relate to.
- Detail-oriented. You are meticulously attentive to details; you are known for your accuracy and you get it done right the first time.
- Ethical and honest. You are ethical, honest, and beyond reproach in business dealings. You are known by others for your integrity and credibility.
- Forward-looking. You carefully balance the need for innovation with responsible financial practices. You run the numbers multiple ways and are an effective forecaster.
- Process-oriented. You thrive on efficiency and you simplify processes and systems. You identify needs and implement policies and procedures that enhance productivity.
- Supportive. You value the work of your colleagues and you take delight in supporting each of them to be most effective in their roles. You graciously share your expertise to help the team be successful and focused on the mission.
- Team player. You recognize that people have different strengths and you appreciate how a team comes together as a cohesive unit. You carry your weight on the team, learning from others and contributing in equal measure.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Finance and Accounting Candidate?
- Our organization thrives on innovation. Your work will help accelerate our nation’s transition to a clean and modern energy future.
- You will enjoy working in a collaborative and highly-supportive work environment with a great team of colleagues. You will be part of a team with a culture driven by these organizational values:
- Attitude:exude responsiveness and friendliness
- Excellence:deliver high-quality work that members rave about
- Ownership: take personal responsibility for SEPA’s success
- Growth:seek out and embrace opportunities to grow SEPA and yourself
- Balance:always examine all sides of an issue
- Comradery:work hard with the team and have fun with the team
- Transparency:communicate honestly, frequently, and openly
- We are financially stable and growing. Managing a broad portfolio of responsibility, you will be critical to our continued growth.
- You will be joining an effective, committed, high-performing group of colleagues who are well-regarded in the community. Your colleagues are professional and committed to their work and are respectful and responsive to each other.
- You can enjoy a regular work schedule with only the rare, occasional need to work nights and weekends.
- We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
To Apply for the Director of Finance and Accounting position:
Simply email your resume to Bob Corlett at email@example.com with “SEPA - Director of Finance and Accounting #2019-2482 SA” as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email and paste your cover letter in the body of your email.
Alternate Titles: Controller, Accounting Manager, Finance Manager, Finance Director, Accounting Director, Chief Financial Officer.
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.