Senior Director, Program and Product Management - NCOA
As the Senior Director, Program and Product Management for the National Council on Aging (NCOA), you will oversee a portfolio of nationwide digital products, lead cross-functional teams, be responsible for the enhancement and maintenance of proprietary digital decision support services, manage a budget, oversee the RFP process, and manage technology and design vendors.
In this role, you will cultivate new revenue opportunities (both from existing and new funders/clients) to support NCOA’s flagship products – BenefitsCheckUp and My Medicare Matters. You will meet with potential partners to understand client needs, determine pricing models based on requests, and manage timeline and delivery of products through cross-functional teams. These products are focused on increasing enrollment of low-income older adults into benefits programs that help them pay for prescription drugs, medical care, food, or heat for their homes. NCOA is working to improve the health and economic security of 10 million older adults by 2020, especially those who are struggling.
You will manage an innovative and robust digital portfolio that currently includes consumer web properties, digital mobile-ready properties, and private (white) label versions of the products. BenefitsCheckUp has already reached over seven million people who have discovered over $30 billion in benefits. You will also be responsible for expanding the digital outreach strategy for our products including a pilot mobile app, a pilot SMS project to notify older adults to complete their benefits applications, implementing a multi-language version of the products, AI predictive solutions, and other innovative initiatives to increase enrollment and engagement of low-income older adults into benefits programs.
As the senior director, you will report to the chief customer officer and will work collaboratively with external grantees and clients, consultants/vendors, and other partners to ensure alignment with NCOA’s mission and priorities. You will work with staff across NCOA, specifically with the chief information officer’s team and the chief marketing and business development officer’s team. Working in close coordination with NCOA’s Public Policy & Advocacy staff, you will also support policy initiatives to achieve even greater social impact.
The National Council on Aging (NCOA) is the national voice for every person’s right to age well. We believe everyone deserves to age with the best possible health and economic security, regardless of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, or background. NCOA empowers individuals with trusted, proven solutions to improve their daily lives, and we protect and strengthen federal programs that people depend on as they age.
Responsibilities of the Senior Director, Program and Product Management
- Principal program lead on the day-to-day operations – program offerings, technology, digital marketing, and financial aspects of BenefitsCheckUp and My Medicare Matters as well as other digital support services.
- Articulate and define product requirements from funders and clients that can be transformed into digital properties.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to ensure programmatic requirements are effectively translated to the digital products.
- Ability to provide competent strategic and tactical insights as a member of the management team.
- Provide leadership and direction with respect to the development, implementation, and release of supporting technology solutions.
- Become a subject matter expert in the decision support tools and curate new program concepts, designs, and plans as it relates to decision support tools.
- Responsible for budget and budget oversight.
- Lead the successful achievement of social impact goals, as approved by the NCOA Board of Directors. Support the organizational direction and strategic priorities set by the NCOA executive team and Board of Directors.
- Supervise and provide support to program and technology staff; mentor, coach, counsel, grow, and nurture staff members consistent with NCOA’s career path framework, which is built to support NCOA’s strategy and maximize social impact and includes the adoption of social enterprise strategies.
- Foster collaboration with a variety of internal and external partners, including national, state, and local organizations, as well as corporations and foundations. Actively seek widespread engagement of other organizations in program strategies and activities.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with funding agencies, philanthropic and corporate sponsors, and clients, and ensure that NCOA meets or exceeds the expected outcomes of NCOA’s grants.
- Support grant proposal and report writing efforts, looking beyond current program offerings and able to speak to prospective funders to present and demonstrate the capabilities of the tools.
Qualifications of the Senior Director, Program and Product Management
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA or master’s degree preferred and 10 plus years of experience managing complex programs.
- Experience in managing digital product programs with a multi/omni-channel setting using various social media channels.
- Experience in driving product performance through performance indicators and metrics. Excellent logic and critical thinking skills.
- Experience in defining, applying, and monitoring key performance indicators or objectives and key results.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Able to organize and manage cross-functional workgroups including remote resources and external partners.
- Experience managing complex budgets.
- Excellent presentation skills and a clear sense of audiences.
- Experience generating substantial new program ideas with funding potential.
- Demonstrable experience in a digital product development capacity, preferably as a product owner or manager.
- Strong proficiency with business analytics tools and platforms, including Google Analytics, to effectively track program efficacy.
Attributes of the Senior Director, Program and Product Management
- Mission-driven. Knows and understands NCOA’s strategies for achieving social impact. Develops a basic understanding and empathy for NCOA’s target population.
- Determined. Able to drive products to desired outcomes. Self-starter who strives for excellence, maintains a culture of continuous improvement, and is welcoming of feedback and open dialogue.
- Brand ambassador. You will be an effective ambassador for NCOA, able to articulate our mission, social impact goals, and major programs to outsiders and explain how they can get involved with NCOA.
- Relationship builder. You can build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people, including junior, senior, for-profit, nonprofit, and government professionals from diverse backgrounds. You have a history of earning respect and credibility through actions with partners.
- Excellent project manager. You plan carefully to keep projects on schedule and on budget. Your communication is key to how a project runs. You can make quick decisions and work efficiently to keep several projects and teams running at the same time while looking ahead at future projects.
- Firm and fair mentor/supervisor. You are an excellent mentor and are known for developing great people. You confidently engage staff at all levels to define needs and expectations. You insist on respect and accountability. People enjoy working with you.
- Strong business acumen. You set priorities wisely and know how to make tough resource allocation decisions, always finding a way to forward strategic initiatives while enriching relationships. You know how to translate strategy into action. You have successfully structured programs to meet organizational needs.
- Adaptable. You can anticipate and respond to change in a fast-paced environment daily. You are willing to learn new ways of approaching your work to achieve better results.
What’s Attractive to the Right Senior Director, Program and Product Management Candidate?
- NCOA is a highly regarded national institution and for more than 65 years, NCOA has been committed to improving the lives of older adults.
- Your work will be highly visible and critical to the promotion of NCOA’s programs and resources. The work you do today will have an impact for decades to come.
- We offer an intellectually stimulating environment in an organization that works passionately and enthusiastically to fulfill program goals and achieve our overarching mission.
- Your experience, opinions, and expertise are valued – what you bring to the table is vital to our success.
- We offer a competitive compensation plan including incentive and bonus programs based on achieving performance objectives; 3 weeks’ vacation, sick leave, maternity/paternity leave, and holidays; flexible scheduling/telework after meeting the employment and performance requirements; health insurance, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance; contributions to a 403(b) plan.
- NCOA is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to these principles. We value and welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage all minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities to apply.
Internally this position title is Senior Director, Decision Support Services.
To Apply for the Senior Director, Program and Product Management position:
Use the "Apply" button on this page, or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at email@example.com with “NCOA – Senior Director, Program and Product Management #2019-2476 SA” as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email and paste your cover letter in the body of your email.
Alternative Titles: Product Development Director, Program Director, Digital Product Director, Director, Product Management
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.