Director, Policy Analysis Center - UnidosUS
UnidosUS, formerly the National Council of La Raza (NCLR), is the nation’s largest Latino civil rights and advocacy organization—a leading think tank focused on issues relevant to the Latino community. Through our unique combination of research, advocacy, programs, and a national network of nearly 300 community-based affiliate organizations across the country, we work to protect civil rights, expand economic opportunity, ensure equitable access to quality education, improve access to healthcare, advocate for nondiscriminatory immigration policies, amplify the voices of Latino youth, and ensure that all eligible voters can cast their ballots with confidence. Since our founding in 1968, we have contributed to a stronger America by elevating the voice of Latinos and defending and advancing our community’s concerns.
As Director of the Policy Analysis Center, you will report to the Vice President of Policy and Advocacy and will help set goals and objectives across all of our policy areas, in consultation with the senior leadership in our Policy and Advocacy component (a team of more than 30 talented people). With the support of 2 direct reports, you will manage the production of dozens of high-impact, timely, and relevant policy documents and materials that support our mission.
Working here will strengthen your expertise in a diverse range of policy issues as you develop and participate in public policy forums, summits, briefings, and other events where relevant policy matters are discussed. Our rigorous policy agenda includes stances on immigration, education, health, employment and the economy, and housing. We will rely on your strong editing background to produce timely and high-quality documents (we have 36 scheduled publications this year). You will also serve as a spokesperson on Latino policy priorities and represent UnidosUS in internal and external meetings and before congressional staff, policymakers, experts, and issue stakeholders.
UnidosUS offers a collaborative, team-based environment that fosters a culture of ideas and debate. We approach our work from multiple perspectives and methods, understanding both the specific issues and the larger interrelated systems. You will work closely with other members of the policy team and co-workers with extensive expertise in communications, editing/production, media, fundraising, special events, and marketing.
Responsibilities of the Director, Policy Analysis Center
- Work with vice president and the senior leadership team to set overall goals and priorities for the Policy Analysis Center; organize and manage a timeline—posted on a team calendar—for the production and dissemination of high quality, timely, and relevant policy analysis materials.
- Conduct and publish independent policy analyses, as well as policy development, on timely and relevant issues for the Latino community that are not covered by specific policy projects or existing staff.
- Provide editorial support and guidance on policy documents, including issue briefs, policy memoranda, regulatory comments, public testimony, and journal articles developed in the component, with emphasis on coordinating issue areas or assignments that overlap or involve multiple policy projects.
- Supervise and provide support for policy analysis staff.
- Serve as a spokesperson on Latino policy priorities, representing UnidosUS priorities during internal and external meetings, and before congressional staff, policymakers/experts, and issue stakeholders.
- Participate in external policy advisory groups, boards, or committees as appropriate.
- Support component senior managers as needed.
- Work with media as appropriate.
Qualifications of the Director, Policy Analysis Center
- Master’s degree required and 8 to 10 years of relevant experience.
- Strong written, analytical, editorial, and oral communication skills; experience publishing as well as editing articles, studies, or other relevant and publicly available documents.
- Understanding of issues facing Latino and immigrant communities.
- Experience thinking creatively to develop policy ideas or solutions.
- Prior experience communicating policy ideas in public settings such as congressional hearings and major conferences, and through written materials such as reports or issue briefs.
- Ability to quickly gain knowledge of new topics and make determinations about their potential impact on various constituencies.
- Experience supervising policy projects and staff.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as execute collaborative projects independently; able to take the initiative, work effectively under tight deadlines, and simultaneously coordinate multiple projects.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook), statistical software, data sources, and internet queries required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a plus.
Additional Competencies and Attributes of the Director, Policy Analysis Center
- Project management—develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Interpersonal skills—focuses on solving conflicts, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral communication—speaks clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Written communication—writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork—balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts the success of team above own interests; able to build morale and lead groups to achieve goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Leadership—exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing people—includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating, and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; ensures availability to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products, and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director, Policy Analysis Center Candidate?
- You will be a part of a passionate organization with a deeply devoted staff that is extremely focused and intent on creating long-term value. Your colleagues are professional and committed to their work, and respectful and responsive to each other.
- At UnidosUS, you will be a part of building a society where all of us—no matter what we look like, how we pray, where we come from, who our parents are, or how our sexuality is expressed—can live, worship, work, and pursue happiness together as equals.
- We offer a comprehensive package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending, short-term and long-term disability, 401k with a match, and more.
To Apply for the Director, Policy Analysis Center
Use the Apply button on this page, or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at email@example.com with “UnidosUS – Dir. Policy Analysis Center #2019-2469 SA" as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email and paste your cover letter in the body of your email.
Alternative Titles: senior fellow, director of policy, assistant director of policy, managing editor, policy director.
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.