Director of Human Resources
Industry Dive produces the business world's most respected journalism, serving more than 5 million decision makers across 16 dynamic industries. In this highly visible leadership role, you will report to the COO and interact regularly with the 3 co-founders. You will manage a team of 2 and support a total staff of 120 with anticipated growth of 30 or more people in each of the next 2 years.
In this role, you will be fully integrated into our business operations and will drive key initiatives including diversity and inclusion, training and development, and supporting business leaders with their plans for growth. Your advice will not be filtered through someone else – you will have a seat at the table when issues are decided. You will work with departments on specific challenges and lead larger initiatives across the organization. Taking a proactive approach to employee engagement, you will develop plans for training, mentoring, and developing each staff member to their maximum potential. You will evaluate current human resources practices and processes organization-wide to be sure our practices support both the employees and mission of our organization. You will become a trusted advisor for all staff, a strategic partner to the leadership team, and a champion for our culture.
Responsibilities of the Director of Human Resources
- Manage the annual benefit renewal process and recommend changes and employee/employer contributions.
- Review the performance management process, recommend improvements, and identify any software needed to support the process.
- Lead the evaluation and implementation of a new HRIS.
- Identify, manage, and critique employee relations activities.
- Develop a formal employee training and development plan. Periodically analyze the success of that plan, then recommend changes.
- Help develop risk mitigation strategies for the company.
- Ensure the company complies with all regulatory issues.
- Provide counseling and coaching to all employees, with an emphasis on managerial training, to address employee issues. Ensure processes for terminating employees are appropriately followed.
- Analyze market employee compensation data and develop compensation strategies.
- Work with the Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging Committee to help ensure recommendations are appropriately implemented.
- Assist with or lead any special projects related to human resource issues/management.
- Develop metrics to analyze employee data and determine methodologies to use such data.
- Assist the executive team with identifying and implementing new human resource strategies.
- Establish retention strategies.
- Manage the office coordinator and the human resources associate.
Qualifications of the Director of Human Resources
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 10 years of human resources experience.
- Experience in both entrepreneurial/startup and mid-size to large organizations.
- Experience supervising.
- PHR/SPHR or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP strongly preferred.
Attributes of the Director of Human Resources
- Passionate. You are positive, focused, and motivated. You meet your goals both professionally and personally.
- Analytical. You are able to make critical assessments. You have the proven ability and experience to bring about change. You identify and frame problems and set priorities.
- Problem solver. You recognize problems, develop relevant points, and formulate well thought out approaches. You do the necessary research to arrive at a sound conclusion, consulting with others when appropriate.
- Excellent communicator. You are approachable, flexible, and responsive. You confidently engage with staff at all levels. You are known for your poise, tact, and diplomacy. You are succinct and operate with facts.
- Business acumen. You are skilled at helping organizations make informed decisions that deliver bottom-line results.
- Good judgment. You are thoughtful in your approach. You demonstrate excellent judgment and you are a model of the tact and discretion required of a trusted advisor and business partner.
- Process-oriented. You can effectively and efficiently manage multiple tasks, allocate and optimize resources, and manage timelines. You take things from start to finish.
- Priority management. You easily identify what is important and what is a priority. You shift gears and reprioritize and change direction as needed.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Human Resources Candidate?
- This is a new and highly visible role where you will work directly with leadership and your contributions will be appreciated. You will be seen as a strategic, thoughtful, and collaborative partner.
- Industry Dive is financially stable and poised for growth.
- We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance, long-term disability, SoFi, BenefitHub, 401k and more.
To Apply for the Director of Human Resources position:
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Industry Dive – Director of HR #2019-2449 SA” as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email and paste your cover letter in the body of your email.
Alternative Titles: HR director, Human Resources Lead.
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.