Senior Director of Human Resources - NCOA
As the Senior Director of Human Resources at the National Council on Aging (NCOA), you will serve the needs of over 80 employees, report to the EVP/chief of staff, and be supported by a staff of one. NCOA is the national voice for every person’s right to age well. We believe everyone deserves to age with the best possible health and economic security, regardless of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, or background.
In this role, you will spend half of your time collaborating with senior executives and the rest of your time driving big initiatives in the areas of culture, performance management, and strategic planning.
You will lead the effort to automate more of the HR functions while maintaining a high level of support to our employees. We are in the midst of a digital transformation and will rely on your strong process and system-tihinking to lead the automation of human resources functions that support NCOA organization-wide. We are a transparent organization with an open door policy and our HR function has earned broad-based respect for being an honest broker, with a reputation for fairness and integrity.
At NCOA, you will be joining an organization that is passionate about what we do.
- Our vision: a just and caring society in which each of us, as we age, lives with dignity, purpose, and security.
- Our mission: improve the lives of millions of older adults, especially those who are struggling.
- Our social impact goal: improve the health and economic security of 10 million older adults by 2020.
Responsibilities of the Senior Director of Human Resources
Leadership and Strategy
- Evaluate and advise senior leadership on human resources and organization development issues.
- Translate NCOA’s business needs into initiatives and programs for an effective HR strategy and function.
- Provide HR leadership and counsel to NCOA management and counsel staff on work-related issues. Proactively manage complex personnel
- Create opportunities to strengthen internal communication and interaction.
- Stay abreast of HR practices and legal requirements.
HR Operations and Management
- Organize, direct, implement, and evaluate NCOA’s HR functions and performance. Plan and manage the budget.
- Ensure the development of HR policies and procedures to improve operational effectiveness.
- Oversee the management of the HRIS database and other tracking tools for analyses of the HR function and employee data. Create metrics to inform HR and senior management.
- Manage and develop current staff and internal partners.
- Support organization staffing goals. Evaluate job design and recommend staffing changes as needed.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance in all HR-related matters, including hiring, employment, and separations.
- Direct NCOA’s recruiting, selection, and hiring of employees. Ensure NCOA’s hiring practices value staff diversity. Oversee employment processes, from recruitment and orientation through employee departures. Provide counsel to hiring managers. Manage employment separations.
- Create and maintain a performance management system that drives and supports high performance. Work with department managers to maintain current job descriptions.
- Develop, implement, and administer an equitable and competitive compensation program.
- Assess staff professional development needs and develop training opportunities. In conjunction with the chief of staff, work with department managers to support team development. Assess individual coaching needs and develop and arrange for coaching engagements.
- Direct the development and application of NCOA HR policies. Maintain the current employee handbook.
Qualifications of the Senior Director of Human Resources
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related discipline and/or SPHR and/or SHRM-SCP certification.
- Ten+ years of progressively responsible HR experience across all major functional areas, including at least three years as a manager/supervisor. Familiarity with “best practices.”
- Proven strategic thinker with effective execution skills.
- Practiced in discretion, with experience handling confidential matters.
- Knowledge of state/federal employment laws and regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated successes in complex project management.
- Experience in progressive nonprofit organization helpful.
- Passion for NCOA’s mission to improve the lives of millions of older adults.
- Computer literate, particularly with ADP and HRIS (NCOA is in a digital transformation).
Attributes of the Senior Director of Human Resources
- Self-confident. You are thoughtful in your approach, consultative, and confidently take the lead. You are fair and just.
- Collaborative work style. You collaborate on projects, communicate results, and are willing to listen and learn from others. You enjoy daily interaction with staff of all levels and quickly earn respect and loyalty. You are a resource and a counselor.
- Momentum builder. You are not simply an implementer; you initiate and facilitate results-based outcomes. You hold others accountable to their commitments and keep initiatives moving forward and on track.
- Business acumen. You are skilled at helping organizations make informed decisions that deliver bottom-line results.
- Excellent communicator. You possess strong oral and written skills. You are articulate and clear both in person and in written communication.
- Analytical. You have incisive analytical skills and the ability to make critical assessments. You can identify and frame problems and set priorities.
- Service-oriented. You are approachable, flexible, and responsive.
What’s Attractive to the Right Senior Director of Human Resources Candidate?
- For more than 65 years, NCOA has made improving the lives of older adults our passion and our mission. NCOA is a highly-regarded national institution.
- You will be in a senior leadership role in the organization, working on complex strategic issues as well as interacting day-to-day with the staff who make up this great organization.
- The HR department is well-regarded within NCOA and has strong support.
- We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with a generous contribution, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, education assistance and more.
To Apply for the Senior Director of Human Resources position with NCOA:
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org with “NCOA – Senior Director of HR #2018-2416 SA” as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email, and paste your cover letter in the body of your email.
Alternative Titles: Director of HR, HR director, human resources executive, HR executive
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.