Director of Programs - QFI
As the Director of Programs at Qatar Foundation International (QFI), you will report to the executive director, manage a team of three with overall responsibility for a staff of ten, and oversee our university and K-12 education activities and professional development for teachers in the U.S., Canada, UK, Germany, and Qatar. QFI’s program areas focus on interrelated issues of global importance. These program areas feature the cross-cutting themes of technology, bridging cultures, community engagement, and partnership. This highly visible role includes oversight and integration of our relaunch of the Doha Debates and related educational outreach and activities.
In this role, you will provide the internal mechanism for evaluating concepts that originate from the senior executive team, program staff, and external stakeholders. You will work with the executive team to determine which programmatic ideas offer the highest potential and align with our mission and vision, and deepen our impact and reach. You will support the programs team with clear plans to execute programs and develop new initiatives. We will rely on you to establish and disseminate programs, policies, and procedures, and provide feedback on QFI’s grant-making.
You will be given the opportunity to expand our portfolio of educational activities, engage in strategic planning and organizational development, establish partnerships, identify opportunities for outreach, and manage donor relations. Your focused and energetic leadership will be required to build connections and identify and leverage valuable opportunities for QFI and Doha Debates.
In our increasingly interconnected world, students and educators are seeking more nuanced views of people and cultures, as well as connections with peers, that offer deeper and more meaningful understanding beyond news headlines and sound bites.
We focus on student-centered learning environments that foster a deeper understanding of the Arab world through the exploration of the Arabic language and Middle Eastern societies and cultures. We partner with primary and secondary schools, universities, multilateral entities, and other philanthropic organizations to ensure that our programs advance students’ acquisition of global competency and 21st-century skills.
We are committed to:
- increasing K-12 students’ access to high-quality Arabic language programs;
- partnering with schools, universities, and other centers of learning to develop engaging, educational resources that deepen understanding of Arab societies and cultures;
- supporting effective professional development for Arabic language and non-language teachers; and
- connecting communities of students and teachers to advance global competency and 21st-century
QFI is supporting the relaunch of the popular Doha Debates. Originally broadcast on the BBC from 2005 to 2012, the Doha Debates provided a compelling and engaging forum for discussing the most controversial and topical issues facing the Middle East region. The new Doha Debates will build on its successful legacy with a relaunch of the franchise through a suite of products to engage younger global audiences including live debate events, social and digital content, podcasts, and a television series. With a focus on the education community, Doha Debates will seek to engage students in the vital issues of the day.
Responsibilities of the Director of Programs
Program oversight, planning, and implementation
- Ensure effective and efficient program service delivery, including accountability for the organization’s continuous quality improvement, program risk assessment and compliance, and overall impact measurement and analysis.
- Lead the process of evaluating the need for and development of new programs and their implementation.
- Work with leadership and program staff to oversee and assist with the management and successful delivery of all programs and program-related day-to-day activities.
- Contribute to the development of appropriate and innovative curriculum to enhance existing and future programs.
- Participate in the leadership of the organization with shared responsibility for its overall direction, growth, strategic planning and fiscal stewardship, and health.
- Develop staff capacity in essential skill and competency areas.
Strategic planning and organizational development
- Translate our strategic plan into operational action plans and lead execution and monitoring of those action plans between major strategic planning cycles.
- Lead the identification and screening of potential growth initiatives, innovation, and strategic alliances or partnerships against the organization’s mission.
Outreach and stakeholder engagement
- Evaluate programming on an ongoing basis to maximize service impact.
- Attend networking and development events on behalf of the organization.
- Establish and cultivate relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders outside of the organization.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Programs Candidate?
- This is a highly visible role, vital to the promotion and growth of QFI’s programs and resources.
- We offer an intellectually stimulating environment in an organization that works passionately and enthusiastically to fulfill program goals and achieve our overarching mission. We have high staff retention rates and a dedicated workforce that cares deeply about what we do.
- Your experience, opinions, and expertise are valued – what you bring to the table is vital to our success. Our environment is collaborative and one which encourages staff to be creative and innovative in designing and developing new programs and ideas.
- We offer a robust compensation package that includes generous paid time off (PTO) and holidays; 100 percent employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your dependents; short- and long-term disability and life insurance; and contributions to a 401(k) plan. Other benefits include tuition reimbursement, professional development reimbursement, cell phone reimbursement, and transportation allowance.
Qualifications of the Director of Programs
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced study or degree preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in education-related function(s) with progressively increasing responsibility.
- 5+ years of management experience, including setting clear priorities, delegating tasks, and supporting staff.
- Knowledgeable in creating strategy for program development and implementation.
- Knowledgeable in creating program budgets and associated work plans.
- Experience administering grants and managing programs with an international focus.
- Ability to position programmatic discussions at strategic and tactical levels.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced, start-up environment; entrepreneurial.
- A healthy sense of humor.
- Experience working with people from diverse cultures and countries.
- Experience in using educational technology in schools or other educational settings.
Attributes of the Director of Programs
- Collaborative. You share information and you work cooperatively at all levels. You give respect; you earn yours. You value working in a cohesive team environment where everyone works hard and relies on each other to pull it all together.
- Project manager. You allocate and optimize resources, assign responsibility, manage timelines, reduce risks, and get the project done.
- Problem solver. You’re intellectually curious. You are detail-oriented, but you can also see the big picture and understand how the details relate to the overall mission of an organization.
- Focused and flexible. You manage and find order through ambiguity. You are able to shape answers to questions where no template exists and you do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Innovative team builder. You build from the ground up, as you navigate and innovate through challenges with a sense of fortitude. You figure out what needs to happen to get things done.
- Creative. You’re intellectually curious and a strong consensus builder. You are consistently identifying new ways to make things better.
- Entrepreneurial. Smart and creative, you intuitively recognize opportunities and take action.
- Leader. You respectfully listen to and learn from others, collaborate on projects, and communicate results. You confidently engage staff at all levels to define needs and expectations.
To Apply for the Director of Programs position with QFI:
Use the "Apply" button on this page, or simply email your resume to Gina Schurman at email@example.com with “QFI – Director of Programs #2018-2386 SA” as the subject of the email.
Alternative Titles: Program Director, VP of Programs, Senior Manager of Programs
Staffing Advisors is committed to helping our clients create a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Some positions may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.