Manager of Standards & Technology - SIA
As technology advances and the complexity of security threats evolves, security leaders must continuously develop innovative solutions to enhance safety. The Security Industry Association (SIA) is the leading trade association for global security solution providers, with nearly 900 innovative member companies representing thousands of security leaders and experts who shape the future of the security industry. The physical security market is growing fast and expected to be worth more than 100 billion dollars by 2021.
Our members, and their 400,000 employees, work at the intersection of technology and physical security – developing solutions to protect people, residential and enterprise settings, and critical infrastructure around the world, including airports, hospitals, stadiums, universities, and government buildings. Our members are making the future more productive, more secure, and more sustainable by constructing intelligent buildings and providing solutions including electronic and physical security, access control, biometrics, cloud solutions, cyber security, emergency communications, fire detection, intrusion detection, mobile applications, perimeter protection, video surveillance, analytics and advanced imaging, threat management, and unmanned aerial and ground vehicles.
In this newly created role as the Manager of Standards and Technology, you will research and analyze technology and standards that affect the entire security industry. This is an opportunity to be an integral part of a financially strong trade association where there is potential for professional growth. We have a collaborative, high-growth culture where innovation and ideas are welcomed.
An ANSI-accredited standards developer, SIA creates standards that are open, enable easy integration of diverse components, and provide a means to establish predictable levels of performance. Participants shape the future of the industry, acquire industry intelligence, and enable rapid acceptance of products in new markets.
Responsibilities of the Manager of Standards & Technology
- Perform research and analysis of technology and standards issues that affect the security industry.
- Develop education content proposals about technology trends for SIA members, industry stakeholders, and government audiences.
- Serve as the SIA New Product Showcase program manager in collaboration with SIA operations and ISC Events.
- Identify emerging technology areas within the industry and develop educational content topics (e.g. webcasts, blogs, and fact sheets).
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative interviews of SIA members and industry stakeholders on technology trends and thought leadership topics and produce findings.
- Provide tracking and analysis of standards activities conducted within the security industry. Serves as a liaison, where appropriate, to industry standards committees.
- Update SIA recommended practices for the use of security technologies.
- Aid in the alignment of technology and standards overseen by the department-sponsored programs.
- Support SIA membership recruitment and retention campaigns through standards department participation.
- Support SIA Standards Committees.
Qualifications of the Manager of Standards & Technology
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (ideally in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems or Mathematics/Statistics/Analytics/Sciences).
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience, ideally working with volunteers, advisory committees, and member organizations.
- Familiarity with Electronic Physical Security or Information Security preferred. Ability to grasp and articulate technical concepts. Desire to learn about security products and interfacing technologies.
- Technical writing ability required.
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Project management and program management experience required.
Attributes of the Manager of Standards & Technology
- Project manager: You can juggle multiple tasks, allocate and optimize resources, and manage timelines. You manage a task from start to finish and keep everyone appropriately informed, so they too can bring their tasks to fruition with ease.
- Service-driven: You ensure that everyone involved in a project has the information they need, when they need it, so they can be optimally productive.
- Exceptional communicator: You are known for your poise, tact, and diplomacy. You confidently engage with staff at all levels and across multiple stakeholder groups. You are willing to listen and learn from others.
- Collaborative: You value working in a cohesive team environment where everyone works hard and relies on each other to pull it all together. You know how to take a good idea and partner with others so that it can benefit all interested stakeholders.
- Problem solver: You seek out relevant information and decide the appropriate next steps to get the desired results.
- Diplomatic: You can find common ground with people, manage a smooth process, and build consensus for workable solutions.
- Resourceful and great follow-through: Whether it’s something that requires a quick turn-around or a long-term project with many steps, you take full responsibility from start to finish. When you say you’ll get back with someone, you do.
What’s Attractive to the Right Manager of Standards & Technology Candidate?
- This is an opportunity to be an integral part of a financially strong association where there is potential for professional growth.
- This is an exciting time to join the organization and make your mark. SIA has a collaborative, high-growth culture where innovation and ideas are welcomed.
- We offer an excellent compensation package including generous health and dental insurance, flex spending account; life insurance; 401(k) with up to 6 percent match; free parking; transit allowance; and work life balance benefits including: paid holidays; 20 days of vacation; 12 weeks paid parental leave; and flexible work schedules. You have the flexibility to work from home up to two days per week.
To Apply for the Manager of Standards & Technology position:
Use the "Apply" button on this page, or simply email your resume to Kim Kistner at email@example.com with “SIA – Manager of Standards & Technology / 2018-2380 SA” as the subject of the email.
Alternative Titles: Standards Manager or Director of Standards.
Staffing Advisors is committed to helping our clients create a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Some positions may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.