Senior Graphic Designer - NCOA
As the Senior Graphic Designer at the National Council on Aging (NCOA), you will lead, shape, and define the NCOA visual brand in digital and print. We are looking for a creative visual thinker and brand expert who will take the lead in creating and maintaining an engaging and dynamic look for all NCOA products, services, and materials across all of our platforms. This is yours to own.
In this role, you will take concepts and text and turn them into clear, crisp, and informative graphics that quickly convey our desired messages and engage older adults and the professionals who serve them. You will work collaboratively with content owners across NCOA and advise them on how to create compelling messages in a visual format. We will rely on your expertise to create the vision and carry our content to the next level.
To succeed, you will need experience in brand creation and management and all aspects of graphic design and visual content for both digital and print channels. Working with outside vendors, you will deliver high-quality work on short deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
NCOA is the national voice for every person’s right to age well. We believe everyone deserves to age with the best possible health and economic security, regardless of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, or background. NCOA empowers individuals with trusted, proven solutions to improve their daily lives, and we protect and strengthen federal programs that people depend on as they age.
Responsibilities of the Senior Graphic Designer
- Lead, shape, and define the NCOA visual brand in both digital and print.
- Serve as visual owner of the NCOA brand and sub-brands, including the rapidly growing Aging Mastery Program®, enhancing current products and materials and designing new ones as needed.
- Update and maintain brand guidelines for NCOA, as well as for individual products and services.
- Enforce NCOA brand standards and educate staff about best practices to ensure a consistent visual appearance across all programs, services, and delivery channels.
- Oversee NCOA’s brand architecture and family of logos, designing new ones as needed.
- Build and maintain an NCOA digital asset library that ensures consistent use of branded visual content across the organization.
- Routinely audit existing visual content, proposing improvements and enhancements.
Design & Product Development
- Work collaboratively with NCOA staff at all levels to understand their graphic design needs and produce a variety of visual content to advance NCOA’s mission and goals.
- Produce unique, compelling, and brand-enhancing visual content for a variety of platforms, including web, social, email, print, and video.
- Lead the design process from conception through completion.
- Support NCOA digital marketing efforts by creating ads, memes, infographics, and other sharable visual content; measure results; implement new images to boost results.
- Design cohesive and responsive visual web and print assets to support visual marketing campaigns.
- Interact with and manage all outside print and fulfillment vendors.
- Coordinate design, printing, and ordering of all NCOA collateral.
What’s Attractive to the Right Senior Graphic Designer Candidate?
- Your work will impact our ability to reach millions of older Americans and community-based organizations that increase the quality and years of life.
- We offer an intellectually stimulating environment in an organization that works passionately and enthusiastically to fulfill program goals and achieve our overarching mission.
- Your experience, opinions, and expertise are valued – what you bring to the table is vital to our success.
- We offer a competitive compensation plan including incentive and bonus programs based on achieving performance objectives; 3 weeks’ vacation, sick leave, maternity/paternity leave, and holidays; flexible scheduling/telework after meeting the employment and performance requirements; health insurance, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance; contributions to a 403(b) plan.
- NCOA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to these principles. We value and welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage all minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities to apply.
Qualifications of the Senior Graphic Designer
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in visual communications design, graphic design, or related field.
- 7-10 years of experience in print and digital design (samples will be requested).
- Experience creating and managing a complete visual brand, including sub-brands, across digital and print products and services.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively express creative ideas and design concepts to colleagues.
- Solid understanding of graphic design best practices for print and web, including knowledge of how to build and enhance a brand and communicate information visually.
- Detailed knowledge of typography, color, and photography both online and in print.
- Expert knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), as well as WordPress and email marketing systems.
- Strong knowledge of 4-color process printing and desktop publishing.
- Experience with video editing and design.
- Experience designing for an older adult audience, including knowledge of accessibility guidelines, 508 compliance, and best practices preferred.
- Experience with photography, videography, and editing preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), and eXtensible Markup Language (XML) a plus.
Attributes of the Senior Graphic Designer
- Great communicator. You communicate and coordinate effectively at every level. You have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Collaborative work style. You are able to work across departments to get the results and support you need while maintaining relationships.
- Mission-driven. You understand the big picture and can easily see how your work translates into social impact. You are passionate about NCOA’s mission, the issues we care about, and the people we serve.
- Creative. You seize opportunities as they arise and identify new ways to convey information. You are intellectually curious and a strong consensus builder.
- Adaptable. You are able to anticipate and respond to change in a fast-paced environment on a daily basis. You demonstrate a willingness to learn new ways of approaching your work to achieve better results.
- Autonomous. You do your job well without close supervision.
- Detail oriented. You have command of both the process and the details. You are known for your accuracy and you get it done right the first time. You go beyond knowing what needs to be done, but also understand why it needs to be done.
- Listener. You solicit input, listen to what is being said, share information when appropriate, and welcome and respect divergent points of view.
- Priority management. You switch from long-range needs to crisis-of-the-moment with agility and ease. You really “get” what is a priority and can independently prioritize.
To Apply for the Senior Graphic Designer:
Please share your resume by using the "Apply" button on this page.
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.
We welcome candidates from backgrounds including (but not limited to): Graphic Designer, Graphic Design Manager