History provides the context for our present and the foundation for our future. At History Associates Incorporated (HAI) we’re historical detectives – rigorous researchers, talented storytellers, skilled archivists, and dedicated museum professionals. We have an unparalleled ability to access information from a vast array of sources, to understand their contextual significance, and to convey key messages to target audiences in the most effective way. Whether we’re finding evidence to support litigation or preserving a cultural heritage, our historians are trained to guard against bias, to find precise answers to complex questions, and to tell an engaging story that’s authentic, credible, and fact-based. And as data increasingly moves to a more complex relational web of information, HAI archivists have the training to ensure information is authentic, safe from loss and malicious change, and easy to access, regardless of whether the information originated in analog or digital format.
With the full support of our board, you will leverage and utilize your strong background in professional services to rethink the structure of our business model and to reposition the organization to capitalize on emerging opportunities in information governance and knowledge resources. Under your strategic guidance, we could expand our capabilities in a variety of directions, including digital archive solutions, customized knowledge and subscription-based databases, software development, multimedia design and production, and much more.
One of your top priorities will be to drive revenue growth, offering our current services to new customers and expanding the work we do with current customers. You’ll actively engage with our elite clientele to understand their needs, inspire our marvelously talented staff to develop new products and services, and solidify our role as thought leaders and problem solvers.
With public mistrust of information at a record high and new government mandates to preserve electronic records, information governance is of the utmost importance to organizations, citizens, and government agencies alike. Instead of the “high recall, low precision” style of internet search engine results, our elite list of clients increasingly requires “low recall, high precision” solutions. When it matters the most—when you’re caught up in litigation or your museum’s reputation is on the line—HAI is where you come to find evidence. That’s why our litigation department supports 6 of the top 10 law firms, our archivists are trusted with the records of members of Congress, the work of our exhibits team appears in the National World War II Museum, and our history department has served many Fortune 500 companies including DuPont. On any given day, we have 30-50 active client engagements underway.
Priorities of the President
We anticipate that you will be able to initiate meaningful improvement in the following areas:
- Analyze the business. Understand the financial and cost structure of HAI, our strengths, the capabilities of our team, and the markets we serve. In light of long-term trends in the external landscape, evaluate our structure, pricing, product offerings, competitors, and competitive positioning.
- Develop a strategy. In consultation with the board, develop a strategic plan, a decision-making framework for evaluating new opportunities, and an operational plan that turns strategy into action and provides guidance to the staff with clear metrics for success.
- Evolve the business model. Explore how we can best leverage our current capabilities and develop new capabilities, positioning HAI and our staff for long-term success.
- Increase sales and profitability. Direct our sales efforts to where they make the greatest impact, increasing both top line revenue and profitability.
- Inspire the team. With a talented leadership team and a staff of 48, coach and develop managers to ensure that each team member’s skills and abilities are utilized to their fullest potential.
Qualifications of the President
- 10 or more years of leadership experience in a professional services organization.
- Deep experience in evaluating the competitive landscape, positioning the organization against competitive threats, reevaluating business models and product offerings, leveraging technological advancements, and turning strategy into action.
- Significant expertise in business development and helping develop solutions for complex client needs.
- Superlative communication skills required.
- Government contracting experience strongly preferred.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience reporting to a board preferred.
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance if necessary.
Attributes of the President
- Business-savvy. You are skilled in the art of business and how to maximize profitability in a professional services firm. You think strategically and creatively to develop business plans that leverage organizational strengths to create competitive advantage in the marketplace.
- Service-driven. You are client-focused and committed to providing the highest level of service while remaining aligned with the mission of the organization.
- Process-oriented. You know how to think systemically, tackling tough issues, finding the root cause of problems, and translating strategic goals into tangible action. You plan ahead, set clear timelines, and hold yourself and others accountable.
- Agile and innovative. You capitalize on opportunities and embrace appropriate risks, balancing a sense of urgency with a clear-eyed assessment of organization
- Data-driven and results-focused. You are an active learner, open to new knowledge and ideas. You are naturally curious, unafraid to acknowledge your mistakes and open to new input. You believe in transparency and shared goals, where everyone can easily see how their contribution supports the overall organizational goals.
- Decisive. You set priorities wisely and know how to make sound resource allocation decisions, always finding a way to advance strategic initiatives. You know when to gather more information and when to take committed action.
- Inclusive. You build people, teams, and morale. You delegate effectively, taking the time to learn what’s important to others, developing, mentoring, and coaching to ensure the right people are in the right roles with clear performance expectations.
- Emotionally intelligent. You have an exceptional ability to communicate actively, effectively, and confidently and demonstrate respect, kindness, and humility in your words and actions. You are fair and inclusive of all viewpoints. You are open to receiving and capable of offering constructive feedback.
- Inspirational. You lead boldly and courageously, bringing out the best in others. You are confident, engaging, and persuasive, and you articulate a clear vision for the future. People want to follow your lead.
- Authentic. You are sincere in your communications, impeccable with your word, and consistent with your follow through. You earn trust by your actions and are seen as an “honest broker.”
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- We work at the intersection of powerful trends in society. The need to build trust in information and institutions has never been more vital. And the need to find credible, trustworthy information has never been more valuable.
- Our work environment is intellectually stimulating and our clients bring us an endless string of fascinating challenges to solve.
- This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to reshape and refocus an organization to meet the needs of a changing world. You will have broad latitude to question everything and the opportunity to make a compelling case to try almost anything. Your efforts will build on a proud legacy of high-quality
- You will have the opportunity to lead a bright team of professionals who are passionate about serving our clients.
- We offer a competitive compensation plan that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, tuition reimbursement, profit sharing, 401(k) plan, opportunities for stock ownership, and more.
To Apply for the President with History Associates, Inc.
Please share your resume by using the "Apply" button on this page.
Alternative Titles: Chief Executive Officer, CEO, Principal, Managing Director, VP of Business Development, Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer, Vice President of Operations.
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.