Vice President of Programs and Operations
Reporting directly to the president and CEO at Excelencia in Education, you will provide critical operational leadership and management as we move forward with a bold, new strategic initiative to address the challenges Latino students face in higher education. As the VP of programs and operations, you will provide the internal management, coordination, and clear action plans that ensure we consistently measure results, address challenges, and seize opportunities. In addition, you will identify and develop the necessary systems, processes, and people to enable Excelencia to lead the community of action. You will directly supervise 7 staff members and work closely with the organization’s co-founders.
We are in the beginning stages of launching the Seal of Excelencia, a voluntary recognition program designed to foster institutional change to close equity gaps and significantly increase Latino student completion. The Seal is envisioned to create an incentive in the higher education market for improving Latino student success. Colleges and universities will earn the Seal of Excelencia once they demonstrate consistent Latino academic achievement and graduation rates. The Seal will also enable Latino students to make informed postsecondary education choices.
Excelencia in Education accelerates Latino student success in higher education by promoting Latino student achievement, conducting analyses to inform educational policies, and advancing institutional practices while collaborating with those committed and ready to close the equity gap in Latino college completion. Launched in 2004 in the nation’s capital, Excelencia is building a network of results-oriented educators and policymakers to address the U.S. economy’s need for a highly educated workforce and engaged civic leadership. Excelencia is a growing, fast-paced nonprofit organization with a small and dynamic team deeply committed to its mission.
Over the next few years we anticipate that you will:
- learn our business and implement Excelencia’s You will set the strategy and direction for managing competing interests that impact resources, developing metrics for programs and staff to ensure that we stay aligned with our goals.
- offer solutions and provide clear communication and data to support your recommendations. By closely managing resources, we can accelerate progress towards goals.
- lead, coach, and supervise staff for continuous improvement. You will develop aligned performance management systems and strategies. We are moving towards a results-based culture that supports results over You will create an environment that aligns mission and business strategy with performance and is supportive and accountable.
- develop the strategy and framework to support the Seal and technical assistance needs. Considering both current and future needs, you will identify and implement sustainable business models that fulfill the mission, meet the budget, and work.
Responsibilities of the Vice President of Programs and Operations
- Strategic leadership and vision. Develop, articulate, and implement a strategic vision for the organization in partnership with executives and team members. This will be achieved in the context of the organizational mission and the rapidly changing policy and budget environment.
- Seamless operations. Oversee the day-to-day work of the organization, including coordination among programs, projects, technical assistance, grants, events, publications, finances, and other general operations. Lead our annual goal-setting process and develop a robust set of metrics and systems to track our progress against goals. Serve as a thought partner and resource to the president and CEO.
- Internal culture and communication. Ensure smooth communication and coordination across the organization. Develop a system for internal communication and design and lead staff meetings and strategy retreats. Help build and reinforce a strong culture of rigor, innovation, transparency, and positive engagement.
- Inclusive supervision and effective team building. Encourage team collaboration, professional development, and input from all team members, including remote staff and consultants; communicate effectively and listen actively, with a respect for diverse perspectives and healthy team debate; provide thought leadership and support in the design of advocacy strategies; leverage the expertise and deep knowledge base of a team of experts.
- External engagement. Continue to strengthen the organization’s role as a strong voice for Latinos in postsecondary policy; strengthen our ability to effectively frame and communicate the importance of these issues; speak directly to our vision and practical next steps through speaking, writing, and direct partnership with policymakers, advocates, and other stakeholders.
Qualifications of the Vice President of Programs and Operations
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years program management experience in a nonprofit, capacity-building organization (e.g., technical assistance, evidence-based programs, access).
- Experience with program evaluation, reporting, and overseeing program activities for quality assurance outcomes and reporting/grant commitments.
- Proven success creating and implementing business processes to support programs, including developing robust metrics and systems to track program progress.
- Prior experience creating and implementing employee performance management, and development of a structure that incorporates goal setting, metrics, and feedback.
Attributes of the Vice President of Programs and Operations
- Great listener. You take the time to learn what’s valuable and important to others. You confidently engage with all stakeholders to define needs and expectations.
- Results-driven. You see the big picture and the details, monitor your key performance metrics, and take the action necessary to produce results. You enjoy tackling problems and are considered a “chief problem solver,” able to manage ad hoc issues that arise and develop and implement long-term smart solutions.
- Strong business acumen. You set priorities wisely and know how to make tough resource allocation decisions, always finding a way to forward strategic initiatives while enriching relationships. You know how to translate strategy into action. You have successfully structured programs to meet organizational needs.
- Service-driven. You are self-confident and assertive, approachable, and responsive. You understand and can easily speak to the needs of the mission and the direction of the organization. You are mission-driven and committed to equity and improved outcomes.
- Strong leader and partner. You know how to build trust, credibility, and goodwill both internally and externally. You have a firm, fair, and flexible style that both complements the efforts and supports the needs of others.
What’s Attractive to the Right Vice President of Programs and Operations Candidate?
- Our mission. We are building a powerful and wide sweeping movement to accelerate Latino student success in higher education, which in turn addresses the U.S. economy’s need for a highly educated workforce and civic leadership.
- This is a pivotal time in our development. As a key member of the executive leadership team, you will play an active role in supporting the future success of Excelencia, improving our processes and ensuring we are set up for success in every area. If you find a better way, we want to know.
- This newly-created position gives you an opportunity to capitalize on a strong foundation with a demonstrated capacity to grow while using your skills and experience to shape the future of the organization.
- We offer a competitive compensation plan that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance; life insurance; paid leave, sick time, and holidays; 403(b) plan; and more.
To Apply for the Vice President of Programs and Operations position:
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Excelencia in Education – VP of Programs / 2018-2344 SA” as the subject of the email.
Alternative Titles: Vice President of Programs, Chief Operating Officer, Vice President of Operations
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.