Vice President of Programs
Reporting directly to the CEO at Excelencia in Education, you will provide critical internal support, management, and coordination as we launch a bold, new strategic initiative to address the challenges Latino students face in higher education. You will coordinate across 10 staff members in existing teams led by the president and CEO and you will collaborate with operational colleagues to infuse structures and processes that enable all staff to thrive and collectively accelerate the organization’s efforts. This is a new role, which will grow over time in terms of scope and overall contribution to the strategic direction and growth of the organization, starting immediately with the primary responsibilities listed below and expanding over time into the anticipated additional responsibilities.
Launched in 2004 in the nation’s capital, Excelencia in Education, accelerates Latino student success in higher education by promoting Latino student achievement, conducting analyses to inform educational policies, and advancing institutional practices while collaborating with those committed and ready to close the equity gap in Latino college completion. Excelencia is building a network of results-oriented educators and policymakers to address the U.S. economy’s need for a highly educated workforce and engaged civic leadership.
We are in the beginning stages of launching the Seal of Excelencia, a voluntary recognition program designed to foster institutional change to close equity gaps and significantly increase Latino student completion. The Seal is envisioned to create an incentive in the higher education market for improving Latino student success. Colleges and universities will earn the Seal of Excelencia once they demonstrate consistent Latino academic achievement and graduation rates. The Seal will also enable Latino students to make informed postsecondary education choices.
Excelencia is a growing, fast-paced nonprofit organization with a small and dynamic team deeply committed to its mission. Staff work in teams focused on research and policy, programmatic areas with institutions, and operational areas. Programmatic teams are organized around constituency engagement, the E-Action Network of institutional leaders and programs; Examples of Excelencia, the only national effort to identify and promote evidence-based institutional practices through an annual award and database of programs; and the new Seal of Excelencia, which supports institutions through technical assistance to pursue the Seal designation. Operational areas include the communications team and administrative staff.
Responsibilities of the Vice President of Programs
- Facilitate teams. Develop and enhance each team’s internal coordination, planning, and delivery. Support collaboration across teams. Provide tools, guidance, structures, and resources to ensure each team and individual is able to meet and exceed their goals. Ensure coordination of projects across the organization. Offer thought leadership and support in the design of advocacy strategies. Work with consultants within and beyond teams in support of the work of the organization.
- Guide staff development. Lead, coach, and supervise staff for continuous improvement. Provide forums for individual and collective professional development through training, events, and retreats. Develop aligned performance management systems and strategies. Create an environment that is supportive and accountable.
- Strengthen programs, policy, and events. Help shape the thinking and direction for each of the program and policy teams. Spur innovation in each area. Work closely with colleagues across the organization to achieve results. Support and inform events and related planning. Ensure all deliverables, from publications to activities to events, follow appropriate timelines and adhere to high standards of quality.
- Promote organizational culture and communication. Ensure smooth communication and coordination across the organization. Develop a system for internal communication. Lead staff meetings and strategy retreats. Create space for discussion, learning, and divergent views. Bridge gaps between stakeholders. Help build and reinforce a strong culture of rigor, innovation, transparency, and positive engagement.
Anticipated Additional Responsibilities of the Vice President of Programs
- Inform strategic direction. Serve as a key member of the executive team, alongside the president, CEO, and vice president of finance and operations. Contribute to the strategic vision for the organization. Participate in new staff hiring in support of the strategic direction. Work jointly on initiatives and organizational plans, operating as a brain trust for problem-solving and acceleration efforts.
- Enhance external efforts. Assist with external partnerships. Support relationships with funders help oversee grants and grant reports. Serve as a representative for Excelencia’s work and role in the field with all stakeholders.
Qualifications of the Vice President of Programs
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of management, programmatic, and policy experience in a nonprofit, capacity-building organization.
- Solid understanding of and experience in the higher education policy and practice preferred.
Attributes of the Vice President of Programs
- Good partner. You know how to build trust, credibility, and goodwill both internally and externally. You have a firm, fair, and flexible style that both complements the efforts and supports the needs of others.
- Great listener. You take the time to learn what’s valuable and important to others. You confidently engage with all stakeholders to define needs and expectations.
- Results-driven. You see the big picture and the details, monitor your key performance metrics, and take the action necessary to produce results. You enjoy tackling problems and are considered a “chief problem solver,” able to manage ad hoc issues that arise and develop and implement long-term smart solutions.
- Strong business acumen. You set priorities wisely. You know how to translate strategy into action. You have successfully structured programs to meet organizational needs.
- Service-driven. You are self-confident and assertive, approachable, and responsive. You understand and can easily speak to the needs of the mission and the direction of the organization. You are mission-driven and committed to equity and improved outcomes.
What’s Attractive to the Right Vice President of Programs Candidate?
- Our mission. We are building a powerful and wide sweeping movement to accelerate Latino student success in higher education, which in turn addresses the U.S. economy’s need for a highly educated workforce and civic leadership.
- This is a pivotal time in our development. As a key member of the executive leadership team, you will play an active role in supporting the future success of Excelencia, improving our processes and ensuring we are set up for success in every area. If you find a better way, we want to know.
- This newly-created position gives you an opportunity to capitalize on a strong foundation with a demonstrated capacity to grow while using your skills and experience to shape the future of the organization.
- We offer a competitive compensation plan that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance; life insurance; tuition benefits; paid leave, sick time, and holidays; 403(b) plan; and more.
To Apply for the Vice President of Programs position:
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at email@example.com with “Excelencia in Education – VP of Programs #2018-2344 SA” as the subject of the email. Please include your resume as a Word or PDF attachment to the email, and paste your cover letter in the body of your email.
Alternative Titles: Senior Director of Programs, VP of Programs and Policy, Director of Programs
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.