Director of Legal Management Services - ACC
Located in Washington, D.C. and working with 40,000 members in 85 countries, the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is a fast-growing global bar association that promotes the professional and business interests of in-house counsel who work for corporations, associations, and private sector organizations. Outside of the U.S., the role of in-house counsel has not always been part of the corporate business model. However, in both Canada and Europe, the role is increasingly viewed as essential, requiring both deep business acumen and a broad scope of legal knowledge.
ACC anticipates and understands the needs of the in-house bar; delivers relevant, timely services and information; helps members efficiently deliver services to their corporate clients; promotes the value of in-house services; and influences the practice of law through education, networking opportunities, and advocacy.
In this newly created position, you will expand the suite of services we are able to offer our members by developing new programs, products, research, benchmarking, and training all geared toward improving the efficiency and effectiveness of corporate legal departments. You will regularly engage with our members, survey market needs, and organize focus groups and round table sessions to better understand the most pressing issues facing corporate legal departments.
Reporting to the AVP, Legal Management Services, you will lead a cross-functional team to create strategic plans for each of these new fee-based services. In collaboration with in-house resources and external consultants, you will develop strategy, set pricing, orchestrate a marketing strategy, execute programs, and ensure long-term performance. Your success will be evident in programs which are valued by members, in keeping with our brand, and financially sustainable.
Responsibilities of the Director of Legal Management Services
- Undertake a disciplined product/service development process to expand the suite of law department services. Conduct market research to understand department needs, develop prototypes and run pilots, assess effectiveness, and iteratively implement programs.
- Forge partnerships to help deliver law department services, identifying appropriate candidates and collaborating to develop and execute programs, ensuring strong ACC brand value benefits.
- Spearhead marketing to legal department leaders and conduct business development from end-to-end, generating leads, proposing programs/pricing, and executing contracts.
- Lead development of a menu of workshops for legal departments and their outside counsel that leverage the Legal Service Management curriculum and methodology. Ensure that pricing and other elements of the marketing strategy support ACC’s strategic objectives, while also ensuring that the LMS programs are financially self-sustaining. Orchestrate educational program/service delivery, whether in-person or virtually, recruiting faculty, overseeing curriculum development, managing logistics, measuring success, and driving continuous improvement.
- Engage the thought leaders we have identified as ACC Value Champions to participate in round table discussions and to share best practices for reducing legal spending and improving department performance.
- Through member interfaces, surveys/studies, media, and other available information, keep abreast of trends in law department management and provide competitive intelligence, training, talking points, etc.
- Develop and/or manage development of online resources and tools on legal / operations management topics to drive engagement with ACC and provide demonstrable value to members.
- Support the AVP of Legal Management Services in driving collaboration, integration, and efficiency, providing input and helping coordinate workflow and collaboration for efficient and effective teamwork.
Competencies of the Director of Legal Management Services
- Bachelor’s degree required; an advanced degree (MBA or JD) preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of related work experience.
- Ability to identify market trends, analyze issues, and develop products and services that meet the needs of corporate legal departments.
- Strong ability to engage multifunctional resources, pulling ad hoc teams together to develop/launch programs and sustain existing programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to interact effectively with senior executives with knowledge and gravitas to be respected by law department leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and deliver results.
Attributes of the Director of Legal Management Services
- Project manager. You allocate and optimize resources, assign responsibility, manage timelines, reduce risks, and get the project done. You have a demonstrated ability to plan ahead, anticipate project requirements, and keep multiple projects on track at once.
- Strong communicator. You have an exceptional ability to communicate and build confidence at all levels. You can deliver critical and complex information to a variety of audiences in a credible and presentable way.
- Relationship builder. You are politically savvy and your collaborative nature allows you to build consensus within any group, bringing a strong sense of respect and inclusiveness.
- Problem solver. You are comfortable working through ambiguity and can operate with little structure, charting a path when no rules exist. You are solution-minded, confident, and steadfast in the face of uncertainty. You identify what needs to be done first, anticipate needs downstream, and carefully steward projects.
- Intuitive. You recognize opportunity and have a bias for action. You are invigorated by change and manage shifts in an environment seeking solution opportunities.
- Respectful. You are approachable and responsive. Teammates appreciate you for your knowledge and your ability to communicate in a clear and defined manner. You seek out and respect other viewpoints and share your insights.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Legal Management Services Candidate?
- This newly created role will be intellectually stimulating. You will enjoy working with corporate legal executives to help them solve interesting problems. No two days will be alike.
- Our global focus brings exciting new challenges. This is a fun place to be, especially for a person who appreciates the value of different cultures and perspectives.
- You will like who you work with – a supportive, respectful, collegial team of passionate and committed colleagues.
- ACC offers a comprehensive compensation/benefits package and promotes healthy work-life balance. We are financially strong and growing.
To Apply for the Director of Legal Management Services position with ACC:
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Ellen Greenwood at email@example.com with “ACC – Director of Legal Services / 2018-2330 SA” as the subject of the email.
Alternative Titles: legal services, corporate counsel, marketing, development, research.
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.