Foundation Executive Director - AAMI
The AAMI Foundation was established in 1967 to improve patient safety by supporting the safe adoption and use of healthcare technology and to recognize the professionals who work in this field. The foundation does this through national patient safety initiatives, the distribution of scholarships, a grant program, and awards for excellence. In addition to those initial objectives, the foundation’s work has expanded into emerging issues and is now tackling a core underlying matter that has a profound impact on patient safety: the future of the healthcare technology management workforce.
In this highly visible role, you will be raising money for key strategic initiatives that improve safety for every patient who steps foot in a medical facility. Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States. Additionally, as healthcare technology changes rapidly, the pipeline of professionals who maintain medical equipment is dwindling.
The Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) has long been the preeminent standards development organization for healthcare technology and the primary source of consensus standards for the medical device industry. AAMI members focus on how healthcare technology can enhance the patient experience. The AAMI community is global and diverse, working in hospitals, medical device companies, academia, accrediting bodies, and government agencies around the world. AAMI provides a unique forum for everyone with an interest in patient safety and healthcare technology, including government regulators, clinical and biomedical engineers and technicians, physicians, nurses, hospital administrators, educators, scientists, manufacturers, and distributors.
As the AAMI Foundation Executive Director, you will develop a comprehensive donation strategy and will be involved in identifying philanthropic targets in issue areas that are consistent with the foundation’s mission and in alignment with AAMI capabilities. You will also manage a robust grant-making program which focuses on scholarships. You will work closely with and manage a deputy executive director who is a subject matter expert for healthcare technology. This work will put you at the forefront of a rapidly growing professional arena. This is not a “behind the desk” kind of role – you will identify prospects and encourage greater levels of giving, securing major gifts from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
Responsibilities of the Foundation Executive Director
- In consultation with the CEO, staff, and board of trustees, shape future initiatives and define the foundation’s case for support.
- Identify and cultivate a portfolio of prospective donors. Develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the foundation that will attract, retain, and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with local community-based organizations, corporations, foundations, and individual funders.
- Track solicitation amounts and anticipated gifts, pledges, and income; provide regular revenue and cash flow updates on projections versus results.
- Develop foundation, corporate, and government proposals and solicitation materials; create online and print messaging.
Management and Operations
- Create and implement the organization’s vision, strategic plan, and fundraising efforts.
- Build and maintain a strong partnership with the board by clearly communicating organization initiatives, successes, and opportunities. Make recommendations for new board members.
- Supervise operations, budget, education and professional development, performance metrics for staff and programs, data management, and personnel.
- Engage volunteers interested in the AAMI Foundation’s work.
- Advocate for and represent the organization at various speaking engagements, graduate schools, philanthropic and educational conferences, and in the media.
Qualifications of the Foundation Executive Director
- 10 years or more of successful nonprofit fundraising experience.
- Experience cultivating individual relationships and securing major gifts.
- Experience carrying a prospect portfolio and record of successfully strategizing to meet financial goals. Familiarity with fundraising best practices, standards, and ethics. Experience working within a small team environment. (This role will require the ability to manage a portfolio of prospects without extensive back office support.)
- Understanding of the grant writing process and complexities of fundraising preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 40%.
Attributes of the Foundation Executive Director
- Mission-driven. You understand the mission and you think about what’s possible. You implement solutions and create the tools and resources to ensure we achieve our goals.
- Results driven. You smoothly manage through ambiguity and are able to easily shift gears, reprioritize, and stay focused on outcomes – translating broad goals into achievable steps. You consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances.
- Business acumen. You know how to translate strategy into action. You effortlessly work through detailed, complex concepts and problems and make rapid decisions regarding management and development issues. Smart and creative, you intuitively recognize opportunities and take action.
- Facilitator. You have a proven track record of results by building strong relationships and partnerships.
- Astute. You ask questions and come up to speed quickly. You are hands-on, dive in, and take initiative without being asked. You enjoy building processes and systems; you figure out what needs to happen to get things done.
What’s Attractive to the Right Foundation Executive Director Candidate?
- You will be working in “start-up mode” within a financially strong, well-respected organization. You will report to and work closely with AAMI’s CEO, but will also work directly with the board of the AAMI Foundation. This is a highly visible and strategic role. Your ideas and input are an integral part of our success.
- You will like who you work with – a supportive, respectful, collegial team of passionate and committed colleagues. Your work will be appreciated and you will be joining a collaborative, high-growth culture where innovation and ideas are welcomed.
- You will have the support of a stable organization with resources. AAMI has an outstanding global reputation in the healthcare technology community.
- We offer an excellent compensation package including health, dental, and life insurance; long-term and short-term disability; 401(k); education reimbursement; 10 paid holidays; and more.
To Apply for the Foundation Executive Director position with AAMI:
Use the "Apply" button on this page, or simply email your resume to Aileen Hedden at email@example.com with “AAMI – Foundation Executive Director / 2018-2308 SA" as the subject of the email.
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.
Alternative Titles: Development Director, Director of Major Gifts, VP of Development, Chief Development Officer, Foundation Director, Director of Philanthropy.