Marketing Data Analyst - ESA
As the Marketing Data Analyst at the Entomological Society of America (ESA), you will be the go-to person for our association management system (AMS) data analyses and queries. You will be the staff expert on the use of data blending tools such as Alteryx and data analysis and reporting tools such as Tableau. Reporting to the director of membership and marketing, you will work closely with our program areas — membership, marketing, meetings, journals, and certification.
In this position, you will provide data, reports, and any database or data-related information that the program areas request. You will collaborate with the marketing and web manager providing data segmentation recommendations and support for all promotional efforts. As our go-to information expert, you will take ownership of our database, ensuring that information is accurate, up to date, and accessible.
Insects are one of the most plentiful and successful life forms on the planet and they are the cornerstone of our ability to survive on earth. They outnumber humans more than 1.6 billion to one. ESA is the largest organization in the world serving the professional and scientific needs of entomologists (scientists who study insects) and individuals in related disciplines. We have 7,000 members who are researchers, teachers, extension service personnel, administrators, marketing representatives, research technicians, consultants, students, pest management professionals, and hobbyists.
Responsibilities of the Marketing Data Analyst
- Serve as staff expert on the use of the AMS (database); guide and assist staff with data needs and reports; provide data analysis.
- Effectively collect, store, and update data in the AMS and maintain data integrity and security. Manage database updates, maintenance, and modifications to best serve ESA needs. Participate in regular calls with the database vendor.
- Maintain updated lists and automated queries for email service tool (Higher Logic/Real Magnet) and provide data segmentation recommendations and support for all promotional efforts. Oversee and manage the integration of the AMS and email tool.
- Lead data queries for regular reports including membership dues renewals, member subscription lists, certification renewals, monthly new member and recruitment reports, product sales, etc.; coordinate with staff and contractors as needed. Provide data queries for special projects as needed.
- Maintain AMS records in coordination with the ESA annual membership cycle. For example, run annual suspension/termination for membership.
- Manage updates of the ESA online self-service membership and customer processes such as join, renewals, product purchases, and meeting registrations to be sure the AMS supports these processes effectively.
- Support the marketing and web manager with transforming raw data into actionable insights that can inform promotional and communications efforts. Assist with brainstorming list segmentation for promotional efforts to drive results and website updates as requested.
- Manage the integration of the AMS with the Higher Logic Community platform and ESA’s Online Forum administrator.
- Support the director of finance with cybersecurity review and maintain procedures for data governance.
- Ensure that ESA maintains compliance with CAN-SPAM, CASL, GDPR, and other data-related regulations.
- Manage ESA committee and other roster data to keep it current throughout the year; coordinate updates with volunteer leaders and staff liaisons. Maintain committee information on the ESA website.
- Provide technical support for ESA educational webinars (GoToWebinar platform).
- Manage registration for ESA annual and branch meetings. Support badge-on-demand software needs for registration setup. Travel to ESA annual and branch meetings as needed.
- Respond to data inquiries from volunteer leaders and members.
- Provide data support, data analysis assistance, surveys, and evaluation development, and prepare reports on results for staff as needed.
Qualifications of the Marketing Data Analyst
- 2-3 years’ experience with customer databases and data analytics.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training/education. BA/BS in information science, computer science, management information systems (MIS), or related field from an accredited college
- Demonstrated knowledge of database design and data techniques. Solid understanding of relational databases.
- High technology and internet literacy, with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Keen ability to learn new database and software applications.
- Experience with data extraction, reporting, and analysis tools. Ability to gather data and provide accurate analysis. Knowledge of Alteryx, Tableau, or email service tools a plus.
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with SAS applications such as association management systems.
- Knowledge of website content management systems such as Drupal, WordPress, etc. a plus.
- Strong troubleshooting skills with the ability to work analytically in a problem-solving environment.
- Ability to think creatively and implement ideas.
- Ability to work independently, as well as a member of a team, with an approach that is flexible, eager, and friendly. Enjoys working with others in a collegial, fast-paced environment. Self-motivated and uses downtime to be proactive.
- Ability to independently draft correspondence, format documents, design spreadsheets, and proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors.
- Some travel required to ESA’s Annual Meeting, ESA branch meetings, and/or training/educational programs, for a total of approximately 2-3 weeks a year.
- Nonprofit experience a plus.
Attributes of the Marketing Data Analyst
- Analytical. You are able to consistently spot when data looks wrong and you’re compelled to figure out why. You know how to manipulate data, integrate databases, and create reports to address regulatory questions.
- Strong and articulate communicator. You communicate clearly in both oral and written communications with internal and external constituents.
- Politically astute. You recognize that an organization consists of many stakeholders with varying goals and needs. You have good judgment and a thoughtful approach, and you are sensitive to the challenges and constraints each faces.
- Project management expertise. Your ability to coordinate with internal and external stakeholders and drive results showcases your superb project management skills.
- Service driven. You are responsive and committed to working hard to address the end user needs. You are also clear, tactful, and diplomatic about what’s realistic and what’s possible.
- Business acumen. While a background in the science industry is not required, you have the ability to “come up to speed” quickly. You understand there are challenges in any environment and also the needs of end users.
What’s Attractive to the Right Marketing Data Analyst Candidate?
- This is an exciting time to join the organization and make your mark. ESA has a collaborative, high-growth culture where innovation and ideas are welcomed.
- You will have work-life balance. ESA focuses on results, not the time clock, and staff can take advantage of both flexible schedules and telework options.
- You will like who you work with – we’re a small team but we’re high energy and very productive. We will trust you to manage your work and we’ll provide support and resources to help you be successful.
- ESA has strong, stable leadership and is financially healthy. Our leaders genuinely care about the people who work here, what we are doing, and the positive impact we are having by being the go-to resource for our members and customers. We have a high degree of communication, trust, and mutual respect among employees.
- Our members are interesting, enthusiastic professionals in the field of insect science and interesting people from around the world. Our members and our staff believe strongly in the mission to promote science, share information, and combat misinformation.
- We offer an excellent compensation package including 100 percent paid health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family; life insurance; long-term disability; a retirement plan that matches up to 7 percent of annual salary after your first year; free parking; 10 paid holidays; 13 days of vacation the first year; 13 sick days; 12 weeks paid parental leave; and flexible work schedules. You have the flexibility to work from home up to two days per week.
To Apply for the Marketing Data Analyst position with ESA:
Use the “Apply” button on this page, or email your resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org “ESA – Marketing Data Analyst / 2017-2295 SA” in the subject line.
Please Note: The internal title for this position is Database and Data Analytics Manager.
Alternative Titles: data analyst, database manager, data and research analyst, membership and database manager, business analyst, data manager.
Staffing Advisors is committed to helping our clients create a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Some positions may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.