Director of Marketing and Communications - AHLA
Major changes are sweeping throughout the United States healthcare system. In the wake of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), health law is rapidly evolving. Thanks to the ACA’s complexity, medicine and the law have grown further interconnected. With the importance of complying with the law’s many regulations, the need for quality education for lawyers and practitioners in the field of health law has never been higher.
The American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) is the nation's largest nonprofit educational organization devoted to legal issues in the healthcare field. AHLA addresses the issues facing our members by providing resources to those who practice in law firms, government, in-house settings, and academia, as well as educating the entire spectrum of the health industry: physicians, hospitals and health systems, health maintenance organizations, health insurers, life sciences professionals, managed care companies, nursing facilities, home care providers, and consumers.
With such a wide range of complex and often confusing information regarding health law, everyone needs trustworthy information. AHLA serves as a public resource on health law issues, electing not to advocate for or against any particular policy proposals, but to produce the highest quality nonpartisan educational programs, products, and services concerning health law issues.
As the Director of Marketing and Communications you will report to the CEO and will develop and implement plans to centralize marketing and to increase membership and product sales. We are leveraging data across the organization to improve the member experience and your work will be integral to aligning our marketing efforts across a large product and services portfolio. You will enjoy the strong support of our existing resources (graphic design, analytics, and sales).
You will create the strategic framework to position and market AHLA’s portfolio of products (webinars, conferences, membership, Dispute Resolution Service, publications, advertising, and sponsorships), prepare and manage the annual marketing budget, and establish an overarching structure for our marketing efforts. We will rely on your expertise to strengthen our marketing strategy by developing a marketing program that drives the acquisition of new members, strengthens our position with current members, increases interest and participation in our education programs and products, and drives revenue and engagement opportunities. You will also write press releases and manage media interviews and inquiries.
Responsibilities of the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Build a strategic, centralized marketing operation to achieve the objectives of organizational goals, such as improving market penetration in product areas and increasing the relevance of AHLA.
- Develop and execute AHLA’s overall marketing and product strategy for our portfolio of existing products; identify and develop potential new products and resources; exit products that are no longer aligned with our mission and business plan.
- Provide high-level, organization-wide strategic oversight of AHLA’s direct mail and e-mail nurturing campaigns to ensure consistent organizational messaging and optimization that supports the member experience.
- Create campaigns that increase member acquisition and engagement through email, website, and social media nurturing programs.
- Improve the member experience by targeting outreach efforts more carefully. Identify and improve deficiencies in the current marketing efforts.
- Build a marketing plan that balances member exposure to and engagement with the entire portfolio of AHLA products. Improve member awareness of all our service offerings. Increase engagement of non-members (with the ultimate goal of increasing membership).
- Reposition AHLA as relevant and attractive to the development and interests of young professionals (millennials). Expand our organization’s reach to underrepresented demographics within our current membership base.
- Use the strength of AHLA’s data to understand how members engage with AHLA products and services. Monitor metrics and data for marketing efforts, including P&L reports. Test campaign effectiveness (e.g., A/B testing) and make adjustments to improve results.
- Direct market research activities to keep abreast of changing demographics and other relevant issues in order to evaluate marketing and communication activities and to monitor emerging issues.
- Develop and implement communications and media strategies that successfully deliver information and key messages to the public, including through social media platforms.
- Build a deep understanding of the marketplace, members, channels, competitors, and industry standards.
- Make presentations to the board on marketing and communications strategies and activities.
Qualifications of the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or communications.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in marketing and communications with at least 2 years in a strategic leadership role, managing budgets and leading a team.
- Deep expertise with use of online analytics, metrics, and data to interpret and monitor results, identify opportunities, and drive marketing decisions that improve overall member experience.
- Experience in product, conference, education, and content marketing, as well as communications, production, and sales.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and communication skills with demonstrated ability to develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Knowledge of health law and the market for legal educational content is a plus. Association experience is desirable.
- Experience with press releases, media interviews, and inquiries.
- Track record of implementing change and getting things done.
Attributes of the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Results-driven. You smoothly manage through ambiguity and are able to easily shift gears, reprioritize, and stay focused on outcomes. You consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances.
- Project manager. You allocate and optimize resources, assign responsibility, manage timelines, reduce risks, and get the project done.
- Team builder. Your commitment to working as both a leader and team player contributes to a positive team spirit and motivates others to action. You build strong teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Problem solver. You understand the big picture and easily recognize challenges before they occur. You make sense of complex and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Collaborative. You work cooperatively, seeking to understand concerns and realistically manage expectations. You are able to find common ground and build consensus for workable solutions. You know how to take a stand and disagree without being disagreeable.
- Business acumen. Health law is a rapidly changing field and standards are constantly being reviewed and updated. You leverage this knowledge to create relevant marketing campaigns that provide a great member experience.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Marketing and Communications Candidate?
- AHLA has strong, stable leadership and is financially healthy. Our CEO genuinely cares about the people who work here, what we are doing, and the positive impact we are having by being the go-to resource for our members.
- In this role, you will have the opportunity to blaze the path for how we do marketing. This program is yours to own and build.
- You will join a passionate, committed team that cares about our work and has pride in what we do.
- We offer an excellent compensation package including health, dental, and life insurance; long-term and short-term disability; retirement and 401(k); 10 paid holidays; vacation and sick leave; and more.
To Apply for the Director of Marketing and Communications position with AHLA:
Use the “Apply” button on this page, or email your resume to Aileen Hedden at email@example.com with “AHLA - Director of Marketing and Communications / 2017-2269 SA" as the subject of the email.
Alternative Titles: Marketing and Communications Director, Director of Marketing.
Staffing Advisors is committed to helping our clients create a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Some positions may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.