Director of Human Resources (part-time) - AFF
The American Forest Foundation (AFF) works on the ground with family forest owners, partners, and elected officials to promote stewardship and protect our nation’s forest heritage. AFF is leading the way in connecting family forest landowners with technical and financial assistance to better steward their land in service to measurable landscape-scale conservation impacts. The recruitment, development, assessment, and retention of talented professionals to accomplish our goals is central to our future success. We are a committed, metrics-driven learning organization that actively gathers and distributes knowledge to improve our results. Our human resources strategy and functions must nurture a culture that supports those attributes. The Director of Human Resources is a newly created role to ensure our success in these areas. The position is a part-time position (20 – 25 hours/week) where you will work onsite in Washington, D.C. and will report to the VP, Finance & Administration, but will work extensively with all of AFF’s senior managers.
In this role, you will serve the needs of our organization and our 40 employees, many of whom work remotely. You will play both strategic and tactical roles in developing and administering human resource programs and policies that contribute to the success of our employees and AFF. In this role, you will manage all the fundamentals of human resources (benefits, compensation, compliance, recruiting, assessment, etc.) while focusing on employee development, employee performance, onboarding, and organizational culture. We seek a leader that can use these tools to make us more effective as an organization.
AFF requires a proactive, confident, and collaborative individual who can successfully manage all aspects of HR, advise and guide managers and senior leadership, and be responsive to employee needs. You will work in partnership with leadership to ensure that the “people processes” are aligned to support AFF’s goals. You will evaluate current processes and best practices, and make recommendations for changes to AFF’s policies and practices. In addition, you will implement and lead recommended changes. We want a partner that can help us instill these attributes across the organization.
Your First Year as the Director of Human Resources
At the end of your first year, you would know that you had been successful if you could look back and see that you had accomplished the following:
- You immersed yourself in the culture of the organization, developed a broad understanding of how we work, and now have a firm understanding of AFF’s long-term goals and how human resources can support said goals.
- You took a pro-active approach to employee engagement and developed strong relationships and built trust with AFF’s staff and senior leadership.
- In collaboration with senior leadership, you established an effective and consistent process for recruiting, interviewing, selecting, and onboarding new employees.
- You served as a resource to all managers and strengthened their skills in goal setting and performance management.
- In collaboration with senior leadership, you developed and began to implement a plan to evolve AFF’s culture to one that supports employee engagement, development, and retention, to best achieve AFF’s long-term success and progress towards organizational objectives.
- You evaluated AFF’s performance management and compensation practices and, in collaboration with senior leadership, made recommendations for enhancements/improvements as appropriate.
Responsibilities as the Director of Human Resources
You will be responsible for the overall leadership, administration, coordination, and evaluation of the human resources function and your key responsibilities will include:
Recruiting and Performance Management
- Source, screen, and present qualified and inspiring candidates for AFF staff positions that have a record of outstanding success, share a passion for our mission, have skills that can help us accomplish our challenging goals, excel in a team environment, and add diversity to our ranks.
- Support hiring managers in selection and compensation decisions.
- Identify and establish recruiting approaches which support the organization’s growth and evolution, with a particular focus on expanding diversity within AFF’s staff.
- Implement and maintain an effective on-boarding process for new employees that provides them with an introduction to all of AFF’s programs and staff.
- Establish consistent processes for and improvements to recruiting, interviewing, onboarding, and performance management systems.
- Negotiate with and oversee external recruiters and outside consultants as needed.
- Work directly with managers to develop their skills in recruiting, hiring, performance management, and leadership.
- Conduct exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations; use the information to coach supervisors and devise training programs to increase retention and employee satisfaction.
Compensation, Benefits, and Talent Management
- Maintain a compensation and benefits program that is aligned with the structure and strategy of AFF and which properly positions AFF’s pay competitiveness in the market.
- Ensure benefits and compensation programs that are fair to employees and cost effective for AFF.
- Develop a strong professional development program linked to enhancing the overall quality of AFF staff and staff’s ability to deliver on AFF strategies.
- Work with managers to develop legally defensible job descriptions and individual employee career development strategies that provide a basis for both compensation and career advancement.
- Administer the annual salary review, merit increase, market adjustment, and bonus distribution processes.
- Work with brokers and other vendors to negotiate renewals and maintain competitive benefit and compensation programs.
- Effectively communicate benefit and compensation programs to staff and ensure they have access to the necessary information that they require to effectively use their benefits.
- Coach managers to improve their ability and effectiveness communicating with their team members about compensation, benefit value, and career development opportunities.
Employee Relations and Advisory Services
- Serve as a resource for managers and team members on employee relations issues and resolution; performance management; measures and reporting; team and skill building initiatives; and talent management and development.
- Coach and mentor executives and managers to effectively use the full range of HR tools (performance, compensation, training and development, mentoring, coaching, etc.) to maximize team benefit.
- Develop, implement, and monitor policies and programs that sustain a consistent, productive, efficient culture and environment and facilitate a positive employee experience.
- Be a resource for managers and team members’ questions about policies, benefits, employment law, etc. and assist them in problem-solving and conflict resolution.
- Introduce and explain new or revised policies, procedures, and laws.
Essential Education, Experience, Skills, and Competencies as the Director of Human Resources
This position requires the following:
- Four-year degree in business management, human resources, or related field.
- HR certification from a recognized, accredited program.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in an HR management role, advising senior-level staff on strategic and operational policy and programs.
- Deep understanding of HR principles and best practices in the areas of employee relations, performance management, recruiting, organizational development, inclusion, staff relations, change management, compensation, and legal compliance.
- Thorough working knowledge of applicable federal and state labor laws and regulations.
- Stellar interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated employee relations skills including conflict resolution, alternative dispute processes, and facilitation skills.
- Strong problem solving/analytical skills to investigate, formulate, and implement recommendations and action plans.
Required Attributes as the Director of Human Resources
- Service Orientation: You are committed to providing the highest level of service. You are approachable, flexible, and responsive. You confidently engage with staff at all levels and are known for your poise, tact, and diplomacy.
- Excellent Communicator: People know that you have their best interests in mind and that you are sincere in your communications. You have strong interpersonal skills and are able to interface effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Poise and Perspective: Colleagues respect you for your HR expertise and appreciate how you can evaluate issues from both an individual and organizational perspective. You effortlessly communicate the message appropriate to your audience whether the matter is personnel or policy related. You have excellent judgment and work confidently with people at all levels.
- Coach, Mentor, and Builder: You have proven experience coaching, mentoring, and developing staff at all professional levels, skillfully identifying and promoting talent, and building smooth leadership transitions and performance continuity.
- Analytical: You have incisive analytical skills and the ability to make critical assessments. You can identify and frame problems and set priorities.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Human Resources Candidate?
- You will work with all levels of the organization and will be a sought-after strategic advisor and HR leader.
- Your contributions and leadership will be appreciated. Our staff is passionate, dedicated, and good at what they do and will be deeply appreciative of your efforts to create and preserve an environment that is both fun and fair.
- We offer a flexible work environment that respects your life outside of work.
- AFF is financially sound and growing.
- AFF offers a comprehensive and very competitive benefits package.
To Apply for the Director of Human Resources position with AFF:
Use the "Apply" button on this page or email your resume to Gina Schurman at email@example.com with "AFF - Director of HR / 2017-2263 SA" as the subject of the email.
Alternative Titles: Human Resources Director, Senior HR Generalist, Senior HR Manager, Director HR and Administration, HR Consultant, Senior Manager of HR and Administration, Human Resources Manager, HR Administrator.
Staffing Advisors is committed to helping our clients create a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Some positions may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.