Senior Director (VP-level), Communications and Marketing - ARVO
As the Senior Director (VP-level) of Communications and Marketing, you will lead a team of six as you develop and implement the strategies and plans that leverage our communications, marketing, and business development efforts to promote our mission. You will contribute as a member of the senior management team, participating in board meetings and strategic planning. You will serve as a liaison and trusted contact to our members, who appreciate not just how you develop messaging to support their programmatic needs, but also how you promote the impact of their work in science and ophthalmology. With an international membership, you will have the opportunity to craft messaging and marketing that is universally received and appreciated. You will work closely with colleagues who organize meetings where our scientist members share their research, publish journals, build education and mentorship programs, develop education and training, and communicate to the public and policymakers about the importance of investing in vision research and in our members.
You will develop and implement strategies and plans for global marketing, communications (member and external communications, science communications and advocacy, social media campaigns, press activities, and public outreach), business development (corporate sales development, marketing, and revenue-generating opportunities such as exhibit and advertising sales), and related opportunities, all in alignment with ARVO’s strategic goals. You will directly supervise communications, marketing, and business development staff, including related vendors. And you will align department priorities and activities with strategy, initiate business plans and management reports, and develop and manage budgets. As determined by the executive director, you will serve as a staff liaison to various standing committees and/or board-appointed working groups.
You will report directly to the executive director and work as a member of the senior management team, leading by example on staff values. You will work collaboratively across departments with senior directors and staff, and provide leadership to six direct reports. As a member of the senior management team, you will participate in the development and implementation of ARVO’s Strategic Plan, for both your own department and ARVO as a whole.
Conducting research to help find treatments for vision disorders and blindness is what our members do. It is through passion and commitment that our nearly 12,000 physicians and scientists strive to make new discoveries. The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) staff spend every day supporting these innovative researchers from around the world so together we can save the sight of many.
Eye and vision research is not always an easy career to pursue. Funding is often a challenge. Access to a diverse group of scientists is vital – to share lessons learned and expertise, for mentoring, and to build collaborations so that discoveries can be turned into treatments and cures for patients. In addition to ARVO’s highly recognized and attended annual meeting, ARVO has online programs, products, and services including three peer-reviewed scientific journals. ARVO’s board of trustees and staff work together to identify strategies that lead to new and enhanced products that bring value to our members and their work.
Innovation is key to our members’ work and it is also key to how we manage ARVO. We welcome different perspectives and initiatives. We are constantly looking for new, better ways to support our members and we offer many opportunities for our colleagues with fresh ideas to contribute to these efforts. We believe that new discoveries for treating blindness are around the corner and we believe that ARVO – and in turn, all of us who work here – can play at least a small role in supporting the scientists and doctors who will make those discoveries.
Responsibilities of the Senior Director, Communications and Marketing
Leadership (Strategic Planning, Board and Committee Support)
- Work collaboratively with senior staff representing communications and marketing functional areas in strategic planning, goal and objective setting, operational planning, budgeting, and implementing of new initiatives and programs for ARVO and the ARVO Foundation.
- Contribute to research and exploration of new opportunities for relationships and partnerships with external organizations.
- May serve as staff liaison to no more than 3 standing committees or working groups as appointed by the executive director. Oversee direct reports that serve as staff liaisons to standing committees or working groups that are in line with communications and marketing, external partnerships, and business development activities.
Communications and External Relations
- Oversee member and external communications, encompassing ARVO’s branding, messaging, online presence, and member engagement strategies.
- Oversee the development, content, design, production, and management of all print and online communications, including websites, e-communication, social media, video, newsletters, promotional collateral, and meeting materials for ARVO and the ARVO Foundation in line with strategic objectives.
- Lead the RFP process, contracting, and management for major vendors and communications projects, including visual identity/branding, social media and member collaboration platforms, email campaign software, and media/press outreach platforms.
- Work closely with the senior staff to contribute to vendor and systems requirements for the various software including, but not limited to, association management system (member database), website, content management system, and journals hosting platform.
- Manage and implement media relations activities promoting ARVO initiatives and the accomplishments of its members, as well as ARVO’s three research journals, to the wider scientific community and the public.
- Supervise the development and implementation of science communication initiatives aimed at increasing member engagement in public outreach activities.
- Monitor federal policy related to research funding and support advocacy efforts promoting the importance of vision research to policymakers and the general public.
- Support/plan sessions at the annual meeting related to press and public relations. Oversee press and mainstream media.
Marketing, Membership, and Business Development
- Develop marketing strategy and oversee implementation of member engagement, acquisition, and retention.
- Evaluate membership value and member needs through the development, execution, and analysis of surveys and other traditional and emerging market research strategies, providing reports and recommendations for future action based on the findings.
- Supervise development and implementation of social media strategies for ARVO and the ARVO Foundation.
- Lead cross-channel promotion of ARVO meetings, education, Foundation programs, and journals to members, authors, and external audiences.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of ARVO’s exhibit presence at major scientific and biomedical meetings, including developing booth/exhibit design, messages, and promotional materials. May attend as the ARVO representative at the discretion of the ED.
- Oversee a major vendor responsible for managing ARVO’s exhibit, advertising, and sponsorship program with the overall goal of increasing revenue through appropriate industry participation in ARVO activities.
- Oversee the development and deployment of marketing strategies and sales collateral, including a media kit, exhibit prospectus, promotional emails, and proposals for sponsorship.
- Contract and manage vendors and marketing activities for jobs board and mailing list rentals.
- Oversee the development and deployment of business plans and budgets for all marketing and communications, public relations, social media, exhibit and sponsorship sales, membership, and business development activities.
- Develop and meet budget goals for revenue-generating activities, including membership dues and exhibit and advertising sales. Produce budget projections.
- Monitor monthly financial statements and participate in budget projections.
- Oversee functional area’s use of project planning tools; monitor project plans.
- Monitor and report on deviations from budget for functional area.
- Prepare reports for the board of trustees and committees as required.
Qualifications of the Senior Director, Communications and Marketing
- BA/BS required; MA in communications or marketing a plus.
- Demonstrated experience contributing to strategic objectives and implementing aligned projects/initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across departments and manage/supervise multiple projects and teams, developing and working within deadlines and budgets.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in an association at the director level in a communications, marketing, media relations, and/or business development position.
- 5-7 years’ direct supervisory experience.
- Experience working with/managing committees and volunteer-led initiatives at a director level or above.
- Familiarity with federal policy related to science funding preferred.
- Technologically savvy with a strong understanding of website content management systems, email campaign platforms, online networking, social media platforms, and related business strategies.
- Basic knowledge of print and video production including familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects).
- Understanding of marketing analytics.
- Strong team player.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Attributes of the Senior Director, Communications and Marketing
- Communicator. You are able to deliver critical and complex information to a variety of audiences in a credible and presentable way and can challenge and be challenged in intellectual debate. You share information, coordinate effectively, and execute your responsibilities while working across teams.
- Curious. You are intellectually curious and eager to understand the unique culture that exists in each organization. You ask questions, listen, and learn – always looking to make things faster, more efficient, more seamless, and more reliable. You notice trends and ask why.
- Leader. You enjoy leading and building teams – and you are good at it. You respectfully listen to and learn from others, collaborate on projects, and communicate results. You confidently engage staff at all levels to define needs and expectations.
- Process-oriented. You are able to effectively and efficiently manage multiple tasks, allocate and optimize resources, and manage timelines. You seek out relevant information, decide the appropriate steps, and facilitate to get the desired results. You take things from start to finish.
- Project manager. You set priorities wisely and know how to make tough resource allocation decisions, always finding a way to forward strategic initiatives. However, you also know how to translate strategy into action. You enjoy solving tactical and process problems.
- Transparent. You believe in transparency and shared goals, a line of sight from individual goals to organization goals where everyone is aware of each other’s objectives and can easily see how their contribution supports the overall organizational goals.
What’s Attractive to the Right Senior Director, Communications and Marketing Candidate?
- ARVO is a growing, successful organization. You will play a key role in a results-oriented, organized, well-run, well-staffed association. Decisions and conversations are evidence-based and results-oriented, with clear strategic priorities.
- You will have the tools (technology and otherwise) to perform your duties and responsibilities effectively. ARVO is not afraid to embrace new technologies that better improve the organization.
- ARVO is open to new and innovative ideas that support the mission and your experience, opinions, and expertise are valued. What you bring to the table is vital to our success.
- This is an intellectually stimulating environment and an organization that works passionately and enthusiastically to fulfill our mission. You will enjoy a collaborative and collegial work environment with a shared purpose where your hard work will be noticed and appreciated.
- We offer a flexible work schedule, including a two-day-a-week telework option for select staff. We pride ourselves on being family-friendly.
- You will enjoy a competitive salary and a generous and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance; short- and long-term disability; vacation and sick leave; paid holidays; metro benefits; retirement savings plan; and more.
To Apply for the Senior Director, Communications and Marketing position with ARVO:
Use the "Apply" button on this page or simply email your resume to Jennie Kinsfather at email@example.com with “ARVO – Senior Director, Communications and Marketing / 2017-2260 SA” as the subject of the email.
Alternative Titles: Vice President of Communications, Vice President of Communications and Marketing, VP of Communications, VP of Marketing and Membership, VP of Communications and Membership, Senior Director of Communications, Director of Communications, SVP of Communications and Marketing, Communications and Marketing Senior Director.
Staffing Advisors is committed to helping our clients create a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Some positions may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.