Director of Marketing and Communications - NCMA
As Director of Marketing and Communications for the National Contract Management Association (NCMA), you will report to the executive director and lead a team which supports the marketing and communications needs of managers throughout the organization. In this pivotal role, you will be involved in both strategic and tactical efforts to maintain NCMA’s current reputation as the gold standard for associations in contract management.
Navigating across departments, you will assess needs, analyze marketing data, and prioritize efforts based on NCMA’s goals and the expectations of our members. You will build relationships with senior managers and directors and your colleagues will feel well-served by your ability to promote their events, seminars, books, and certification and educational programs, as well as your suggestions to increase sponsorships and attendance at conferences.
Recognizing the industry is constantly evolving, you will ensure NCMA has its finger on the pulse of trends and best practices. We are in the process of selecting an integrated marketing automation system and will look for your guidance to determine the best way to manage marketing campaigns across the organization.
As the gatekeeper of the brand, you will ensure consistency and professionalism across all platforms (print, direct marketing, digital, social, mobile, and email). Your ability to write compelling copy will enhance our reputation across our global audience and help us expand our advertising online and in our magazine.
You will utilize your creativity and sharp analytical skills to inspire members and prospective members to engage in events in their local regions where we provide substantive educational offerings. Our members appreciate our professional and consistent events across our chapters, where we provide a community to discuss challenges and trends within our industry.
This is a hands-on leadership role that will require you to dig into the weeds of analytics, evaluate patterns and trends in data, and then use this data to improve our marketing efforts to focus on what our audiences care most about.
NCMA, founded in 1959, is the world’s leading professional resource for contract management professionals. With over 20,000 members in government and commercial industries, NCMA is dedicated to the professional growth and educational advancement of procurement and acquisition personnel worldwide. NCMA strives to serve and inform the profession and to offer opportunities for the open exchange of ideas in neutral forums. With steady revenues of $7 million, NCMA is financially stable and poised to grow.
What does NCMA offer to members?
- Community – 18,000+ total members
- Credentials – five highly-respected industry certifications
- Learning – 300+ hours of education offered annually
- Information – monthly Contract Management Magazine
- Networking – 3,000+ people attend national events every year
- Advocacy – legislative and regulatory alerts
Responsibilities as the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Develop and oversee implementation of all marketing plans for NCMA programs and services (events, membership growth, education, certification, and any new programs).
- Strategize and collaborate on new program development and implementation and their fit into NCMA’s program portfolio.
- Oversee all marketing research (focus groups, surveys, and interviews).
- Conduct and analyze yearly membership survey.
- Establish marketing and branding guidelines for NCMA and local NCMA Chapters.
- Establish and maintain the NCMA brand across all platforms.
- Manage website strategy and maintain oversight of website systems (job board, community platform).
- Research, write, implement, and oversee social media plans.
- Attend NCMA conferences (5+) and oversee NCMA booth.
- Develop and implement analytics plans.
- Strategize, create, and implement a process to increase membership through targeted prospecting.
- Create and manage relationships with related associations and corporate partners.
- Manage and develop a team of direct reports.
- Develop and maintain relationships with appropriate press contacts.
- Monitor and facilitate issues and events affecting the contract management profession.
- Engage with various NCMA committees, volunteers, and communities and collaborate to accomplish various committee goals.
- Manage the marketing budget.
Qualifications of the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or other related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- 8+ years of marketing experience in a membership organization.
- Strong staff management experience required.
- Experience using Marketing Automation, Google Analytics, email marketing, content management systems (Sitefinity preferred), and customer relationship management systems is a plus.
- Experience working with members of the media.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Attributes of the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Communicator. You are able to deliver critical and complex information to a variety of audiences in a credible and presentable way and can challenge and be challenged in intellectual debate. You share information, coordinate effectively, and execute your responsibilities while working across teams.
- Curious. You are intellectually curious and eager to understand the unique culture that exists in each organization. You ask questions, listen, and learn – always looking to make things faster, more efficient, more seamless, and more reliable. You notice trends and ask why.
- Leader. You enjoy leading and building teams – and you are good at it. You respectfully listen to and learn from others, collaborate on projects, and communicate results. You confidently engage staff at all levels to define needs and expectations.
- Process-oriented. You are able to effectively and efficiently manage multiple tasks, allocate and optimize resources, and manage timelines. You seek out relevant information, decide the appropriate steps, and facilitate to get the desired results. You take things from start to finish.
- Exceptional communicator. You are known for your poise, tact, and diplomacy. You are comfortable in a social setting and able to confidently engage at all levels and across multiple stakeholder groups. You collaborate on projects and communicate results, and you are willing to listen and learn from others.
- Project manager. You set priorities wisely and know how to make tough resource allocation decisions, always finding a way to forward strategic initiatives. However, you also know how to translate strategy into action. You enjoy solving tactical and process problems.
- Business-savvy. You see beyond the black and white – you delve into the details and are prepared to have an intelligent conversation regarding the give and take of priorities.
- Service-driven. You are committed to providing the highest level of service aligned with the mission of the organization. You are approachable, flexible, responsive, and willing to roll up your sleeves and do whatever is necessary.
- Productive. You are an enthusiastic self-starter who can multitask and thrive in a busy, fast-paced environment. Your project management and organizational skills enable you to effectively manage multiple projects, and reprioritize as needed.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Marketing and Communications Candidate?
- We are financially secure.
- NCMA is a closely knit team, and our “we are all in this together” mentality shines through whether we are interacting with stakeholders or member chapters. There is a high level of respect for one another and the expertise each person contributes.
- You will be a part of the team selecting and implementing an integrated automation marketing system.
- NCMA is known as the “gold standard” for contract management.
- Great location and work-life balance.
- We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits.
To Apply for the Director of Marketing and Communications position with NCMA:
Use the “Apply” button on this page, or email your resume to Gina Schurman at email@example.com with “NCMA – Director of Marketing and Communications / 2017-2255 SA” as the subject of the email.
Alternative Titles: Director of Marketing, Senior Manager of Marketing Communication, Senior Manager of Marketing, Marketing Communications Director
Staffing Advisors is committed to helping our clients create a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Some positions may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.