Director of Operations - Educare
At Educare, we believe everyone deserves a fair chance to achieve their dreams, and it starts by leveling the playing field from the day we’re born. As one of the nation’s most effective early childhood schools, we make sure financially disadvantaged young children have the best possible chance for success in life. Our approach extends beyond the classroom to help children, families, and communities thrive. Educare Washington, DC is part of the 21 school Educare network, and provides a high-quality, research-based early childhood education program for children and families in Washington, D.C. We combine high quality instruction, deep family engagement, and embedded teacher training to serve children and families directly, and we leverage our experience to provide trainings for other programs and to serve as advocates for children and families across the DC region.
Located just east of the Anacostia River in Ward 7, the 32,100 square-foot custom-built Educare facility provides quality early learning opportunities for 160 infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and their families. We braid together Head Start and other public funding streams with private funding to create an effective, sustainable early education program for children and families who need it most.
In this newly created position as Director of Operations, you will report to the Executive Director and will be a major contributor to the continued success of our organization. Reporting to you will be the Administrative Manager, the Accounting and Eligibility Clerk, and the Sunshine Committee. In addition, you will be the lead contact for our external HR and finance firm. You will provide support and guidance to employees and coordinate day-to-day operations that ensure the smooth operation of an efficient team.
Alongside the executive and school directors, you will help to support all school staff, so that they in turn can best support children and families. This is a highly visible role where leadership will trust you to manage resources effectively and within budget to ensure that Educare operates effectively and efficiently, and is compliant with all federal and state laws and funder requirements. In this role, your attention to detail, organizational skills, business acumen, management ability, customer service skills, graciousness, poise, judgment, and follow through will be critical to success. This is a chance to make a difference and contribute to providing a solid educational foundation to the lives of young children and their families.
Responsibilities as the Director of Operations
- Be a servant leader for the Educare community. We believe in developing our people and having a strong professional development program for our employees. Your role will be to coach and develop your team, providing the support and tools that they need to serve children and families.
- Improve our processes. We embrace continuous improvement and we will look to you to come up with better ways of doing things.
- Help to grow our organizational culture. Build relationships with employees based on respect and awareness of the opportunity to learn from, contribute to, and improve both themselves and the organization as a whole.
- Analyze the performance of support functions for departments such as human resources, facilities, and compliance, and make recommendations for improvement.
- Collaborate with leadership to optimize revenues and manage school-wide and specific program budgets.
- Help develop forms and processes that are consistent with grant and/or regulatory requirements, and are streamlined and avoid redundancy.
- Supervise and coordinate ongoing projects, effectively collaborating with community partners and members of the Educare team.
- Manage our external accounting firm for all financial matters. Create and manage budgets, working closely with department managers. Review cash position and actuals to budget as provided by external firm. Approve payments, provide supporting materials for audit and fiscal monitoring, and serve as internal financial point person.
- Manage our external HR firm for all human resource matters. Work closely with HR provider and department managers regarding employee relations matters. Review information provided by external firm as necessary. Serve as lead contact for questions or policies related to payroll, benefits, or HR compliance.
- Make analytical decisions, prioritizing and communicating to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
Qualifications as the Director of Operations
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred.
- 10 or more years of experience with finance, HR, and operations in a for-profit or non-profit organization.
- Experience developing processes and procedures organization-wide.
- Must be passionately committed to children and in possession of personal integrity and a strong moral and ethical character.
- Demonstrated strength in problem-solving, planning, and coordinating initiatives across an organization with impeccable judgment.
- Experience with using performance metrics and tools to measure results.
Attributes as the Director of Operations
- Excellent interpersonal skills. You have a proven track record of getting results by building strong relationships and partnerships. You develop strong and trusting relationships with outside clients and internal staff alike. You understand that trust with all stakeholders is essential to our process.
- Organized. Your attention to detail is supported by your excellent organizational skills. You bring order to competing priorities and keep things clear, concise, and running smoothly. You efficiently track the necessary details, delegate effectively and drive a clear process.
- Servant leadership. You focus on meeting the needs of those you lead and understand that it is your job to develop employees to their fullest potential.
- Able to manage conflict effectively. You are a great problem solver and are able to lead conflict resolution with a variety of strategies. You are keenly aware of the big picture and how to negotiate, compromise, and collaborate for a win-win outcome.
- Comfortable with change. You understand that what we need today may be different than what we need tomorrow, and you are flexible to changing and improving as we go.
- Builder. You are curious with lots of new ideas. You build from the ground up, keeping an eye on the bigger picture as you navigate and innovate through challenges with a sense of fortitude. You figure out what needs to happen to get things done.
- Business savvy. You can see the big picture and understand how the details relate to the overall mission of the organization. You effortlessly connect dots and see missing links.
- Great listener. You take the time to learn what’s valuable and important to others. You confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations.
- Perceptive. Smart and creative, you intuitively recognize opportunities and take action. You set goals with boundless energy and go above and beyond what is expected.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Operations Candidate?
- This is a pivotal time in our development. Reporting directly to the executive director, you will play an active role in supporting the future success of Educare DC, improving our processes and ensuring we are set up for success in every area. If you find a better way, we want to know.
- You will have a unique vantage point. Involved in every aspect of our work, you will understand how our business operates and how to connect all parts of the whole.
- We have a strong staff who are dependable, passionate about our mission, welcoming, and willing to work together.
- Competitive salary and benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance, long term and short term disability, 403b with company match, fixed leave during school closings plus personal days and holidays and more.
To Apply for the Director of Operations position with Educare:
You can Apply on this page or emial you resume to Aileen Hedden at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Educare – Director of Operations / 2017-2254 SA” as the subject of the email.
Alternative Titles: Operations Director, Deputy Director, Assistant Director of Operations, Associate Director of Operations.
Staffing Advisors is committed to helping our clients create a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position requires pre-employment screening including a criminal background check, health screen, TB test, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.