Director of Training Practice - AFP
We have a history to be proud of at the Association for Financial Professionals (AFP) and we are not afraid of a challenge as we continue to aggressively invest in our future. Our business operations are complex, international, and on the cusp of significant global growth.
AFP is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland and serves a network of more than 16,000 treasury and finance professionals in 58 countries. We provide members with breaking news, economic research, and data on the evolving world of treasury and finance. AFP also provides world-class treasury certification programs, networking events, financial analytical tools, training, and public policy representation to legislators and regulators. AFP is the daily resource for treasury and finance professionals.
In this newly created role as Director of Training Practice, you will drive revenue growth in our training practice by developing new training ideas for our corporate partners and repackaging existing programs into options with greater substance and relevant material. We currently offer over 30 courses in a wide array of topics (at least 5 programs offered each quarter). Working closely with, and receiving guidance from, the managing director of people and training, you will interact on a daily basis with subject matter experts across the organization—who are developing and instructing the curricula—while overseeing the daily management and professional development of all training staff and establishing strong networks on behalf of AFP.
We have a robust sales and business development team of 9. In this role, you will accompany the sales team during customer meetings and provide a consultative approach to identify and customize offerings to the customer’s training needs. You will identify and act upon opportunities for improvement in current offerings and new products, including open enrollment seminars, pre-conference workshops, customized training courses, and certification examination preparation materials.
Responsibilities of the Director of Training Practice
- Supervise Training Department staff ensuring an appropriate mix of training content that is current, attractive, and beneficial to treasury and finance professionals. Ensure training content meets AFP’s standard of excellence, as well as seminar and training score goals.
- Meet or exceed annual revenue targets through the delivery of open enrollment seminars, Certified Treasury Professional (CTP) and financial planning and analysis (FP&A) learning systems, custom training, pre-conference workshops, and virtual training.
- Oversee current training platforms and development of new products for both individual members and corporate clients within corporate finance and treasury fields. Ensure that AFP Training Practice regularly introduces new, relevant courses and training offerings as well as properly maintains current course offerings.
- Identify emerging training needs by monitoring legislative, regulatory, and industry developments—as well as competitors’ programs—in corporate treasury and finance.
- Maintain a pulse on training industry trends and make recommendations on ways AFP can innovate with regards to creating and delivering training content.
- Oversee rollout of new product and content initiatives to deliver world-class, on-time, and on-budget market introductions.
- Oversee Learning and Development Advisory Council, a forum for c-suite level learning and development professionals within corporate finance and treasury. Represent AFP at Advisory Council meetings.
- Oversee and drive opportunities to re-purpose existing content for bundling opportunities and delivery in other channels.
- Oversee the development and execution of training programs for AFP’s two certifications: Certified Treasury Professional and Certified Corporate Financial Planning & Analysis Professional.
- Work closely with our learning system business partner, serving as the main point of contact. Develop relationship to drive learning system growth.
- Responsible for ensuring learning system products are current and best in class. Continually assess current learning system partnership, explore new partnership opportunities, and manage partner contract negotiation process.
- Manage the growth of learning system products, including corporate sales support.
- Working with the Training Solutions Sales staff, serve as a consultant on training solutions for corporate clients, analyzing clients’ training needs and, in conjunction with instructor and the training solutions sales consultant, overseeing the design of custom training curricula or modify off-the-shelf curricula, ensuring customers achieve the desired learning outcomes.
- Oversee and approve all pricing and negotiation for training products.
- Responsible for meeting AFP’s standard of excellence for all training products; meet or exceed annual qualitative evaluation scores for all training programming.
- Work in a cross-functional environment with sales, logistics, marketing, and finance to assure successful delivery of training products and growth of training practice.
- Develop, monitor, and manage appropriate budgets, keeping the managing director informed of anticipated expenses. Review and forecast expenses on a quarterly or as needed basis.
- Analyze fiscal performance compared to budgets and departmental goals.
- Participate in the hiring, training, supervision, evaluation, and development of departmental staff consistent with AFP’s human resource practices. Establish departmental and individual staff goals consistent with AFP’s organizational objectives, strategic plan, and core values.
Qualifications of the Director of Training Practice
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or a related field is preferred.
- Experience in curriculum development, ideally working with adult learners.
- Staff management experience. Experience managing remote workers is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of instructional systems design methodology, methods of learning evaluation, training delivery methods (e-learning, instructor-led training, virtual classrooms), curriculum development tools, and learning management systems.
- A clear and concise communication style, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated success with revenue generation. Experience in marketing, sales, or consulting with the ability to monitor the market and identify customer interests.
- Experience with using financial analysis (such as analyzing ROI, profit/loss, budgeting, revenue analysis, pricing, and conducting competitive analyses) to evaluate new product offerings.
- Experience managing projects and collaborating with a team to develop content and sales. A polished and professional appearance to represent AFP in public forums is required, including a clear, articulate, tactful, professional, and friendly speaking manner.
- Proficiency in all components of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to travel 25-30 percent of the time (by air, rail, or automobile) for up to one week.
Attributes of the Director of Training Practice
- Innovative. You are curious and business-savvy and you think about the future. You can relate the vision, mission, and values of an organization to meet the needs of its customers. You perform analyses, take well-thought-out risks, and champion new ideas.
- Collaborative. You are grounded in our organizational values of sharing information and working cooperatively. You are happy to listen to others and share your input and opinions.
- Self-assured. You are intelligent and not afraid to ask questions. You have a strong sense of self, able to take part in spirited conversations with leadership and peers alike.
- Service-oriented. You understand that helping customers meet their business goals is critical to success. You listen and identify the best system and service for them.
- Results-oriented. You are data driven and have a proven ability to bring about change. You see the big picture, monitor your key performance metrics, and take the action necessary to produce results.
- Strategic. You gather relevant information and execute decisions in a timely manner. You know how to make sound operational decisions, even when it may be unpopular.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Training Practice Candidate?
- You will have the opportunity to make a difference. This role will have worthwhile impacts for members looking to advance their professional development.
- We have a results and metrics driven environment where you can enjoy quality of life (we have a 37.5 hour work week) and be trusted and respected by professional colleagues.
- AFP is a respected brand that is trusted by the marketplace. We are passionate about what we do; our staff is committed, accountable to each other and to our work.
- You will work in close collaboration with a sales team that is constantly in touch with the marketplace, bringing new ideas and fresh perspectives on growth opportunities.
- AFP is financially stable, well-funded, and poised for growth. We benefit from a strong, influential board, dedicated to the mission. Our organization is comfortable with change.
- We will provide you with clear goals and regular, fair, and honest feedback on your performance; your performance will be recognized and rewarded.
- We offer a competitive salary and strong benefits package.
To Apply for the Director of Training Practice position with AFP:
You can use the "Apply" button on this page, or email your resume to Gina Schurman at firstname.lastname@example.org with "AFP Director of Training Practice / 2017-2227 SA" as the subject of the email.
Internally this position title is Director of Training
Staffing Advisors is committed to helping our clients create a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. Some positions may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.
We welcome candidates from backgrounds including (but not limited to): continuing education, professional development, curriculum, course developer.